I-Pass vs PrePass toll programs

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by LoJackDatHo, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I definitely don't like the idea of paying a fee above the cost of tolls. And I see best pass boasting of 20% discounts? You save a lot more than that just going through your States Pike commission.....like 35% I think....maybe more....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I think I read 25 per month and then up to 20% off tolls....which is BS.

4. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Looks like I-Pass and EZ-Pass are the same. Doesn't look like any toll discounts in IL with I-Pass. Also are there monthly fees for all of these? Or just pay the tolls. Is it worth the fees to by-pass the scales in your opinion? How often do you get pulled in with prepass?

5. LoJackDatHo

Jan 26, 2017
    I wish the websites would give you actual numbers instead of saying " if you travel this much you will save this much". I want hard numbers from these websites. Not just guesstimates. I guess I will call them all tomorrow. Thanks for the help all. Much appreciated

6. LoJackDatHo

Jan 26, 2017
    Just got this email from BestPass :

Hi ,

Thank you for your request for additional Information. At Bestpass, we specialize in saving money for companies that travel the E-Z Pass & other toll roads across America.

Some of the benefits of being a Bestpass customer include:

• Simplifying tolls to a single invoice
    • Your single source for service and savings
      • Single payment
      • Single transponder or minimizing tolling devices
      • Single point of contact
      • Single point management services for vehicles, license plates, and transponders
    • Maximizing E-Z Pass discounts on the NYSTA, PTC, NJTP, MTAB&T, and PANYNJ
      • PA Turnpike – standard discount is up to 28%, plus additional 2% Bestpass volume discount
      • NYS Thruway – standard discount is up to 5% - 22%, plus additional 12% Bestpass volume discount
      • NJ Turnpike – standard discount is up to 9%, plus additional 3% volume discount (non-peak tolls only)
      • PANYNJ – standard discount is 10% if more than 100 non-peak trips per month; for non-peak trips under 100, Bestpass gives a 5% discount.
      • Metropolitan Transit Authority - up to 37% discount
      • Colorado E-470 – BESTPASS up to 20% discount
      • Ohio Turnpike – up to 20% discount
      • West Virginia – up to 13% discount
      • Illinois Toll Roads – up to 15% discount available for 5-axle vehicles between 10pm – 6am
    • California: BATA tolls
    • Niagara Bridge Commission
    • In negotiations with the 407 in Toronto
    • Montreal: In negotiations with tolling authorities
    • Our Horizon transponder covers the following southern states:
      • Florida – on average, 20% off cash rate
      • Kansas - up to 5%, plus additional 3% volume discount
      • Texas – NTTA – up to 33%: Texas DOT/Central Texas - up to 25% : HCTRA – covered for convenience (TEXpress Lanes included)
      • Oklahoma – up to 5% off cash price
    In addition, Bestpass has a superior customer service team that can assist you with toll violations, toll disputes, and fleet/vehicle updates.

For more information about Bestpass Inc., please log onto www.bestpass.com. Click here to view our Bestpass discount and coverage sheet.

Summarized below are the service fees based on one truck.

Service

Fee

Maintenance service fee per account

$10.00/ a month for first truck

Transponder fee per device

$2.50/ a month for up to 10 trucks

NYS transponder lease fee per Device

$.50/a transponder/a month for tolls

Total service fees for one truck

$13.00

(Any additional trucks added on, you will see an increase in your monthly service fee by $3.00 per transponder. The maintenance fee is per account, not per transponder)

How to set up an account with Bestpass :

Please note that a deposit is required to set up an account with Bestpass. This deposit is equal to one month’s worth of tolls or a minimum of $ 350.00 for the first truck and $100 for each additional truck. If your monthly toll volume is greater than $350.00, or you are operating in the Northeast, it is recommended that you should increase your deposit higher than the minimum.

The charts below breakdown the set-up cost and the monthly fee structure:

Set-Up Cost for One Truck:

Bestpass Complete Pass (Tolls only) :

One Time Lease Fee: $75.00

One Month Prepaid Tolls: $350.00

***$350 bare minimum for the 1st truck and $100 for each additional truck; If your are a heavy toll user and/or operate in the Northeast, you may need to increase.

Total Set-Up Cost: $425.00

Monthly Service Fee for One Truck:

Complete Pass (Tolls Only)

$13.00

(Bestpass Monthly Service Fee: $10.00 for monthly maintenance fee, $2.50 per transponder fee and $.50 for NYS Thruway lease fee, per transponder)

RubyEagle and My-Ke Thank this.
  7. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I have a pre pass and an ipass ipass can be used at any Xz pass location it's also a lot cheaper. I load what I want and when it gets to $30 it recharges. When I had ez pass it was $500 up front and when it dropped to $250 they reloaded it for another $500 meaning I had a balance of $750 on. Too much money to be tied up.

fargonaz and LoJackDatHo Thank this.
  8. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    No fees with ipass just pay the tolls. Do get discounts in different states for using electronic tolls

LoJackDatHo Thanks this.
  9. pigeon river trucking

pigeon river trucking Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    michigan
    I believe it is 17 dollars a month per unit. discounts r between 25 and 30 percent depending on road. very happy with them have them in 3 trucks. We have used them for about 6 months now

10. pigeon river trucking

pigeon river trucking Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    michigan
    On all three trucks only had to go through weightstations 7 times total on all 3 since getting the pass

LoJackDatHo Thanks this.
  11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I-Pass has no fees and only a $10 deposit for the transponder if you don't return it.The one draw back of I-Pass is it takes 24 hours to sync with EZ-pass system. Once you run thru E-ZPass toll it takes 24 hours for it show up on you I pass account. Also when you load MI Way onto you I-PASS account it will be 24 hours before E-ZPass see you have money. So if you let your account run low then drive thru E-ZPass toll they might think you account balance is low even if you loaded up your I-Pass account.

LoJackDatHo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.