I read several post about coolant issues. please help.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by selftaughttrucker, Oct 23, 2018.

1. selftaughttrucker

selftaughttrucker Bobtail Member

May 21, 2015
    Baltimore, md
    the other day while doing my pre trip. I knew I had a small coolant leak. so I check the coolant tank and it looked low. So after the truck only been running for about 3-5 minutes. I figured it would be safe to take off the cap and top off coolant level. While I was taking the cap off. the pressure from the coolant system shot the cap and the air and coolant shot out of the reservoir tank onto the windshield etc. every time I take cap off there has been pressure for about a month or so. I figured it was nothing. also while putting cap back onI thought I saw the coolant bubbling.
    temp gauge was about 125 I guess I don't remember
    what are your thoughts? thanks

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    That does not sound good. You can do an internet search and see what that could mean, the bubbling especially. I'm not real familiar with these issues so I'm sure you'll get some input from other drivers. But head gasket is what an internet search comes up with on the issue.

Muddydog79 Thanks this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    could be a cracked head, a bad head gasket, a bad cylinder liner., a cracked engine block, that is making this happen. in some instances, it can be a bad thermostat.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It also can mean that you should wait until it is cooled down to put coolant into the system. The pressure that it is under is 15 psi and I would expect it running to be a problem with it being open.

If you have a leak and get it fixed, it may be alright then.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    What kind of Truck what engine?

86scotty Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It shouldn’t have pressure after only 5 minutes but definitely at 125 degrees. Bubbles aren’t good sign. Some older trucks had heater valves that work off air and can cause excessive pressure when bad

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sometimes there is air trapped in the system, when there is a release of pressure, some of that air will go to the highest place in the system, in most truck engines, that is the surge tank.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Robert85006

Robert85006 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Southwest USA
    When opening ANY type of valve: you hear hissing..it means STOP, something is escaping: fluid or air. If you would have stopped turning the cap, coolant would have bubbled out..... but probably not SHOT out of the surge tank and on to the windshield. Wait for the hissing and or bubbling to stop and fill your tank with fresh coolant. Better luck next time.

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. selftaughttrucker

selftaughttrucker Bobtail Member

May 21, 2015
    Baltimore, md
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I am glad someone mentioned that it is highly recommended to wait for the coolant to cool down before opening the reservoir. Some caps have warning signs about hot coolant. I always use paper towels to cover the cap and open it slowly. You are very lucky the hot coolant did not touch your skin!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.