I really like Knight Transportation

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by RoaringDown55, Sep 12, 2007.

1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    3 months? A week on a week off... you loved them? How long was you there? Short love life....:biggrin_2554:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Back then trucking was still a wild adventure...you could work for a east coast company and they would send you to california...it was fun...but a lot has changed in 4 years....it's just not the same out there anymore...

4. brianc20

brianc20 Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2008
    burlington vt
    Ghoast child why arent you there anymore? what terminal did u run out of? I am going to call them back real soon and see if my application is still good and then go from there Vermont is the WORST state to live in!!!! NOBODY wants to talk to you or hire if u live there..........do u know anyone else that hirs in this state? before i decide on Knights?

5. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I left back in 2005...I left do to other priorities I thought I had, back home...
    But I was happy with them back then...I was out of the Lakeland, FL terminal...

I can't attest to how they are now though....
    I tried getting back on about 1 year ago...but do to scheduale conflict kept missing orientation date....

Florida's the same way...many don't like to hire out of Florida...
    Have you tried GTS....Or Super Service?....very rough shot companies...but you can make money with them....but they do have thier set backs...

6. brianc20

brianc20 Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2008
    burlington vt
    ghoast child I have been trying to talk to a Doug at the Carilisa Pa terminal to get more infor on hometime and one guy i talk to out of Chicago told me they do alot with Wilton NY and Glens Falls Ny so getting me home( deadheading) will not be a problem so I have to make a decision real soon any more info you could give me be awesome , like pay, washing trucks, trailers condition, etc.......

7. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    You would have to ask a driver from the terminal you wish to work out of what it is like to work there.
    Knight unlike other large carriers, gives individual terminals wide discretion on how to operate. A driver from one terminal could not hope to give you a clear picture on another terminal operations.

For instance the Portland OR terminal likes to keep their trucks clean while the Seattle terminal could care less. Some terminals slip seat while others do not. Some have drivers facilities while other have only a port a potty. etc.

Generally they have decent newer equipment and are good at getting you home at most terminals. They have a sliding scale, so the shorter the run the more per mile. Some terminals start you on perdiem and some give you a option to not be on it out of the gate. I was told they lowered their pay scale to .31 for runs over 500 miles for new hires. And you only get raises based on your evaluations. They are not automatic with time in the seat or miles. They have on line payroll and direct deposit or they load pay onto your fuel card. They run Petes- Volvos- and Internationals, but mostly Volvos. They are getting real picky on Idle time- Going out of route- and not fueling where they tell you to. At some terminals they are firing drivers who do not fuel where they tell you to and or idle the trucks to much.

Most trucks have 3 batteries and can have issues if you add on appliances, so many drivers carry jumper cables. The trucks have bunk heaters but no APU's so you will have issues with idle times at least 6 months out of the year.

I do not work for Knight so my info is second hand but my info comes directly from friends of mine who work out of their Seattle terminal. Frankly I would not work for any outfit without a APU on the truck these days. And certainly not at .31 per mile under the current log scheme.

I work local most of the time but do run OTR from time to time, and when I do I am paid for the trip not by the mile but it works out to around .48 per mile plus $25 per drop.

These days I would run refer if I was out on the road on a daily basis. They usually pay better and you can run anything that does not have to be nailed to the floor or walls. Many company's will sit you instead of deadheading you to the freight. Knight has cut back on deadheading drivers and story's of 1 to 3 day layovers off freight lanes is common

8. mikley28

mikley28 Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Tracy, CA
    Do they pay for their drivers' IdleAire? I can drive into any TA and count no at least 4 Knight trucks using IdleAire. Sometimes it seems cheaper to get a motel.

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Not anymore . IdleAire finally went out of business last week .

10. mikley28

mikley28 Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Tracy, CA
    I thought so... it just seemed too odd that more than 30% of the trucks using IdleAire were Knight. lol

They were bound go go under with the rate they were charging.... Get the same at Motel 6 for about the same price and sleep in a real bed and shower you dont need to pay or buy 50 gal of fuel for.

11. wolfpack67

wolfpack67 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2010
    winston-salem nc
    i am sorry but being at a truck co for only 4 weeks does not mean that the knight will that way 4 weeks later.boy knight sure has got this driver brain washed already.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.