I-shift issues

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Scott., Jan 7, 2021.

1. Scott.

Scott. Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Hello-
    Need some help. I bought a used 2015 Volvo 780 I-shift. 20 years of driving, this is my first automatic. Truck was running great this morning, did a drop and hook, dove 5 miles to a truck stop, put it in reverse, dash showed “R” put my foot on the throttle and I had nothing, the rpms didn’t even raise, put it back in neutral, back to reverse to my foot off the brake, and it kinda lunged. Backed in spot. Got up this morning, noticed when I come to stop sign, the truck wants to go, meaning if I let up on the break just a bit, it wants to take off. (Almost as if the clutch is not fully engaging) now, I’m noticing 1, 3 is shifting a bit rough, especially on a downshift. Also stopped, put it in neutral, put it back in drive, showed being in drive, put my foot on throttle, no drive, no rpm raise. Put it back in neutral, back to drive and it took off. I’m wondering if this is a clutch, trans, or electronic issue. Any ideas? 712,000 miles pulled light it’s whole life according to previous owner. No codes are showing.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Did you have a oilsample analysed?

4. Scott.

Scott. Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2021
    No. Never thought about that.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Google Eaton auto shift flash codes and or similar things. You should be able to get some diagnostic flash codes that way.
    Take the dust cover off under the clutch and feel around in there. If you find clutch pieces and or broken spring pieces that answers another question.

6. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    It could be a clutch failing but I doubt it. Can you have it scanned?
    There is a ribbon cable inside the transmission that
    connects the transmission ECU to the shift bar sensors.
    They fail over time and can cause all kinds of bizarre problems.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  7. Scott.

Scott. Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2021

8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    What do you mean no codes showing? Do you mean no lights on dash? If so that doesn't mean no codes. Have you gone in to the dash menu and scrolled through each ECU? There is a separate one for each part of the truck including the tranny. I can explain further if you need but I'd have to go out in the cold rain and look in my truck.

9. Scott.

Scott. Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Sorry, I should have worded that better, I have no lights on the dash. I ran through all of the self diagnostics and it says no faults.

10. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    That transmission is notorious for air leaks, the transmission relies on good air psi. Has air system been maintained, air drier and such. Any moisture in air system. Air leaks are a big pro with that trans. Transmission should of been serviced at 500k. There is a sight window on right side of transmission. (Passenger)
    By full plug. Give you an idea of fluid condition. Should be half way up sight glass when cold.
    Do not be surprised if you need a clutch.
    Not saying anyone did or has, but hard acceleration and driving it like it was stolen is extremely hard on the transmission and clutch. Take it to dealer and let them hook VCDS to it.
    Long live my 18 speed.

Rubber duck kw, Lazer and 86scotty Thank this.
  11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    OK, I wanted to ask that first because a lot of people that just drive these trucks don't even know about the fault menus. My 2015 is finicky kind of like yours sometimes. I have to firmly push on the brake when shifting in to drive/reverse or it will have a dead pedal and give me a 'press brake before shifting' message on dash. Mine also is really slow to engage throttle sometimes. It's electronic, not mechanical.

I would say you're due for a visit to the dealer. Where are you located?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.