I-Shift Maintenance

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by loudtom, Sep 21, 2020.

1. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I watched a video on performing an oil and filter change on the transmission, and it seemed pretty simple. I tried to remove the fill plug next to the sight glass with a 3 foot breaker bar, but it was stuck and I wasn't going to chance breaking something by really cranking hard on it. So I ended up taking it to the dealer. They filled it from the plug at the very top on the passenger side, and drained it from the bottom left plug on the same side and made a giant mess. The oil that made it inside is barely over the bottom of the sight glass, so I think I'm going to have to add more. Are these plugs pretty sturdy, or is there a chance that it will break off? Or should I just try to fill it from the top like the shop did?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    It turns out they might not have made the entire mess. I assumed they were just careless with flushing the power steering and refilling the oil in the transmission, then decided not to clean up. Turns out there was a hole in one of the transmission lines to or from the cooler that was leaking directly underneath where the power steering reservoir is. We didn't notice until we were able to clean it at the house and then test drive it. We ended up patching the hole with electrical tape and a hose clamp for now, and it seems to be holding up alright. Since it's dark outside, I'll look at it closer tomorrow.

Does the I-Shift have a low oil warning indicator, or will I have to shore up my repair if I wanted to drive it 60 miles to the dealer? I've still got a little bit left in the sight glass and the transmission temperature only climbed to like 124F in about 20 miles of driving.

I searched around and found that a special Volvo tool is typically used, and saw this video as well. I'm just going to have the shop use the tool, but I've posted it in case someone is interested in an alternative.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    It does not have low oil warning and for these lines unless seized you can use a zip tie instead of clamp works just as well if you can still see oil in the sight glass than you should be good.

loudtom Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.