I-shift output shaft

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Juve1985, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Juve1985

Juve1985 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Anyone had transmission output shaft on i-shift repaired/replaced?
    I was told I need a transmission back box replaced/repaired because there is too much play on the output shaft, not sure to be honest what is a backbox I assume on the transmission but is it a big job?
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    The back box on a 13 or 18 is not that big of a job, but replacing one is not cheap. I have no idea on the I-shift.

4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Is this a Volvo dealer that told you this? The I-shift output yoke has a little slop built into it.

I had an independent shop check my u-joints because I heard rhythmic squeaking. They said my yoke was loose. They called next door to the Volvo dealer to borrow a socket to tighten it and were told to leave it alone, it's normal.

Socal Xpress and 86scotty Thank this.
  5. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    If the nut is loose causing the yoke itself to be loose, I would have a hard time beliving it is normal. Now I could go for normal if the shaft has some play in it, and will turn a little.

6. Juve1985

Nov 12, 2014
    I was told by couple local mechanics that there is about atleast a 1/4 movement when they move drive shaft by hand, I saw it it moves up and down, I called Volvo they say it's normal to move little but not 1/4 of an inch, they said remove drive shaft from transmission and lose carrier bearing, put drive shaft on the ground and there is a plate kind of looks like it that stays on the transmission, they said you should not be able to move that plate, if it moves than u have a problem, well I took down drive shaft and sure enough that plate is moving about same like before 1/4 of an inch, I called Volvo back they said that's a problem, I will post a picture that was sent to me from mechanic at Volvo, that is a plate on a transmission that they said should not be moving

Attached Files:

lilillill Thanks this.
  7. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    1/4" output shaft play should be within spec

The driveline shop verified with volvo when I was chasing a vibration a while back

8. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Which direction, in and out?

9. Juve1985

Nov 12, 2014
    It moves up and down left right, and it's turning but that is ok I guess

10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    What keeps a seal in it?

11. Juve1985

Nov 12, 2014
    I don't know to be honest, and interestingly there is no oil leak on the seal, yes trany oil is at level

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.