I should have beat his................

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by striker, Sep 30, 2010.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    The company I work for, we have a strict policy, all our loads are no touch. At most, we will do a driver count. Anything that is driver unload or driver assist unload is priced out before we do the load, and we (drivers) are told ahead of time. If the customer requests it when we arrive, we have to clear it with dispatch so they can clear it with their customer.

This past Weds., I took a load of tires from Denver, Co. to Sheridan, Wyo., 265 pieces. I arrived opened the doors, the three workers told me where to back up to and they started on it. I was leaning against a utility trailer they had parked beside my truck talking to a friend on the phone.

The owner of this company comes out, tells me I need to get off my phone and get my ### in the trailer and help unload or he will pull his guys off and I can unload it myself.

I tell him, our company does not permit us to help unload unless it is cleared ahead of time or until I call and get permission. The guy then tells me that he has already talked to his customer Toyo (Toyo tires) and they said that I am supposed to help unload. I told him that our policy is we give 2 hrs free time to load/unload, after that we charge. If the driver is expected to help, we don't give any free time. But I will call my dispatcher.

I call and tell the office, she tells me they will call me back. In the meantime this guy walks off and makes a call from his cellphone.

3 minutes later, I'm waiting for a call back, he walks up to me and says:

Does it bother you to sit on your fat ### and watch while other people work?

Ever have one of those good angel/bad angel moments?

Good Angel: Keep your mouth shut and smile, it's not worth losing your job over

Bad Angel: A. Knock his teeth out, B. Get up, tell the guy in the trailer to get his ### off your trailer, close and seal the doors. Tell dumb ### that after he apologizes to you, you will open the doors and they can continue to unload. If he refuses to apologize, get in the truck and leave, call the office and explain to them who, what, where, when, why, and that after dumb ### apologizes you will gladly return with the load, but not until.

For once, I listened to good angel, and then today happened. I walk in the office at 7am, last driver in. My boss sits me down and explains that this guy called the broker after I left his yard and does not want us to deliver to him again until it has been confirmed that I am no longer employed by the company (actually I was shaking in my boots), they told the broker to tell moron to pound salt and not to worry as we will never darken his doorstep again.

walstib, Laner99 and stlwaco Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. calcustom

calcustom Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Manteca,CA
    Man I thought you was going to say the F word!
    WHEW!

4. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    Scared the CRAP outta me and I wasn't the one sitting There! Dang Don't do THAT!

5. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    I'd have helped bail you out of jail!

RockinChair Thanks this.
  6. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    You have a good boss.

rocknroll nik and RockinChair Thank this.
  7. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    should have asked the owner of the tire place to get off his fat butt and show you how it is done since they are his tires anyways--i dont mind helping a bit --but dont expect me to do all the work that your guys are getting paid to do---congrats buddy--you proved my theory--nice only goes so far

RockinChair Thanks this.
  8. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    The first time he would have gotten the customer service smile. The second time I'd have told him that it bothered me just as much as it bothered him seeing as his guys were unloading the truck while he was out here running his mouth not doing a #### thing. I wouldn't have been shaking in my boots when the boss called me, though. I've got the same kind of company as you. They cause problems, they can go pound sand.

I don't hold back on that as much as I used to. You see what happens anyway so you may as well get yours.

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I had a jerk once that got ONE pallet and he demanded I break the pallet down into 4 pallets. OMG, it was only 2 layers and 12 boxes. :)

I got $35 later for doing it. Patience pays!

10. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    And some people look at me funny when I tell them that flatbedding is easy. :biggrin_25523:

Joetro and Les2 Thank this.
  11. grimesjm1

grimesjm1 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Kensington,OH
    I got a good one for ya. I transport cars and we got an order to pickup a minivan from a residence and deliver to another residence. I got there and the guy turned out to be an on-duty sheriffs deputy. Nice guy at first, I accepted his vehicle, inspected it, and this one was collect on pickup so I did so.
    He wanted a reciept so I had him follow me to my truck because I had left it in my truck. I drove his minivan, he followed over in his cruiser.
    I'm sitting in the drivers seat of my truck filling out his reciept, and next thing I know, he;s standing outside my door, demanding my drivers license!
    The first thing that pops in to my head, and out of my mouth, politeley, is "why?"

"Because I am a Law Enforcement officer, and you will do whatever I tell you to do!"

Uh, no. We were involved in a private business transaction, not a traffic stop. I don't have to show you anything!

"I just gave you $500 and a vehicle, I need to know who I'm giving it to. I need your license, sir."

Should have said that from the beginning, wouldn't of been a problem. You aren't gonna threaten me. Here's your money and your keys, Find someone else to move your car!

This actually went backand forth for almost ten minutes. He threatened to have me arrested if I didnt give him my license! I finally did. He went back to his cruiser, ran it. 20 minutes later, walks up and says, "Well, I couldn't find anything to hold you on, you are free to go. I really think you should take this vehicle though, I need it moved." Some nerve!
    I told him he was an ####### and had just violated my rights. He then told me then put the car back in his driveway where I got it. I walked back, pointed to the bumper, that had no plates on it,and said, "You are asking me to move a vehicle on the road that has no plates on it. That is illegal, get your fat ### in it and move it yourself!"
    While he was doing that, I got in my truck and got the hell out of there!

Laner99, Timin770, kajidono and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.