I signed up....finally!

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Adelmo, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Adelmo

Adelmo Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    What's up Fellas!
    So, it's done! I signed up earlier today to a no frills, flexible, inexpensive, bottom line type CDL school. It cost me $3000 less too so, based on your feedback I'm paying this up on my own ($2500 upfront $1900 60 days before graduating). How it works is they sent some Youtube links they created explaining everything the inspector wants to hear, memorize this info and take up to 6 months of driving skills for the actual road test. I enjoy how they basically put the ball in your court. They encourage you practice your pre-trip expectations sent on the videos and based on how many folks show up drive their trucks around the lot doing the backing up, etc., before they go out on the road with you. The deal maker for me was the guy's response when I asked about placement, he said," I suggest you do your homework because we have no sponsors gearing you to sign up with someone you might not even enjoy, so the job search is on you". He told me from tme to time companies come by but they are not affiliated with them. No sale's pitch, no "hurry up & sign" speeches on how they're gonna take care of you. I have already looked up some companies that seemed decent besides the ones recommended by you goop people. I remember one of you suggesting; if you can afford it, pay it this way no company owns you. I like that thought.
    Anyway I want to thank you guys a lot and look to doing more posting as I go along.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Trucking skool is to learn just enough to get past the State Test. It is impossible to fail trucking skool. But it is possible to fail the state test.

You are doing one thing right, paying up front in cash however you arranged it.

When you graduate you will be on your own by your lonesome hunting work, wait until you run into the constant experience needed. (How does one get experience at all without having chickens hatch and grow up first?)

austinmike and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Rock on, man. Best of luck to you. Looking forward to your posts.

5. seattle_ownerop

seattle_ownerop Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2020
    That is great man, just remember it's a game of patience. You are going to do great and I wish you best of luck.

Puppage Thanks this.
  6. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Lol you get that cdl and we all here know a guy that can find you a job haha

7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Following, good luck!

8. midgetripples

midgetripples Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2018
    I was in school with a guy 3 weeks in and this moron could not even do a straight back

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Then that is a shame.

Anyone with adequate attention can be trained to do it. Even my wife. Now she did good eventually but needed some of my time to teach her. Any one who is married can understand the challenges very well.

Sometimes I think over the years we lost a little something in training.

Covenant in Little Rock, the last time I was in the area I watched a group of 8 take turns pull up and then back against a transfer dock in a straight line more or less on gravel and nothing around. They did that for a about 30 minutes then retreated to the shade waiting for instructor to come out of a meeting.

Thats not training. Thats a form of abuse. And you wonder why trainees are not fully equipped to really take on trucking their first year.

10. midgetripples

midgetripples Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2018
    it was not a training issue, the only issue is he was an idiot that thought he would just get handed a cdl several people me included attempted to help him and he refused to listen, he is one of those people that just should not be around anything bigger then a honda civic

11. dwells40

dwells40 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2017
    I did similar $1800 all in! Everything is on you to learn on your own, but it was thousands less then everybody else wanted! Got my cdl, and just finished Schneider training! Just waiting on a truck! Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.