I Start With Averitt in January 2012

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by bigmikectn, Dec 19, 2011.

1. SPC WHIGHAM

SPC WHIGHAM Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Indeed that's what I thought also, but however something isn't lining up. I have an idea of what happened. An issue with my unit being scrapped in these govt cutbacks, is our paperwork isn't being pushed through. I received a call from Averitt asking why I had been missing drills. It's crazy because my 6 year contract is up, basically in a nutshell someone has put the wrong picture into my recruiters head. I used my unit as a contact to verify my experience. Someone somewhere I do believe has ruined my credibility on this one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigmikectn

bigmikectn Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    Hey gang. Just thought I would check in. I am doing well and love being home every night. I ended up accepting a job doing sales at Carmax. I am in training and I enjoy it very much. I hope all is good at Averitt. I do miss certain things about driving but then I get home, see the family and crawl into my own bed and that stuff fades away.

4. jsbtrucker

jsbtrucker Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Georgia
    Glad it's going well, I hope it stays in that direction,be safe!!

5. bigmikectn

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    Things are going well at Carmax. Finished training and have been selling for just under a month. Sold 15 cars already. Really enjoy the time with the family and riding with my M/ C. Ironically I do miss driving a good bit. May go back to it after my grandson goes to college. Hope all is well. How are things going with Averitt these days?

6. stylicho

stylicho Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2007
    You're a driver and you're worried about how other trainers are training students??? If he doesn't know how to read a map it's because the trainee doesn't have common sense.

As for Averitt, it's going to #### pretty quick. Once the new CSA came out they started flooding the company with drivers, students, anybody. Before the CSA they would try to get you to run 18+ hours in a day if they needed you to and since it didn't go on their record. Since CSA everything downhill. I talked to some other drivers today and found out whose getting the miles- the trainers. They're getting 2500 to 3000 a week. Plus, they aren't doing hardly any LTL runs. Talk about easy money.

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Sounds like he's a professional that gives a rat's ### about a rookie needing a little guidance and working for a decent company. Well, was working there anyways. There are 2 kinds of drivers in this world. Those who will sit back a watch another truck in a tight spot back into something, and those who will jump out and spot for somebody helping out. Unfortunately for as long as I can remember the former have always seemed to be a majority in this industry.

8. stylicho

Jan 20, 2007
    The trainers appear to be the ones getting all the miles. Not only that they also are doing very few LTL runs from what I hear. My miles have been pretty sorry lately. So many student drivers joining Averitt. Don't have anything against student drivers, but I do know what to expect when a company starts hiring a bunch of students. Used to be where Averitt wouldn't hire unless you were out of a specific region. Boy did that CSA screw up everything. Averitt used to run illegally as hell meaning us drivers would have loads of miles when we came in. However, because that CSA came out they didn't want to be caught short on drivers and thus affect their CSA score by asking drivers to drive over their hours. Some people are calling it JB Hunt Jr since somebody from JB Hunt is supposedly now controlling much of what's done at Averitt. FWIW heresay says that Sasser doesn't really partake in operations very much anymore.

9. stylicho

Jan 20, 2007
    And don't mention when you're waiting for a PM to be done in the lounge they expect you to pick up that night, after the PM's done, and take an LTL somewhere to be delivered sometime in the morning. Very unsafe. Although to be honest you can usually get out of those loads.

10. stylicho

Jan 20, 2007
    I didn't know that post went through lol. You're right, to a degree. However, some people don't like it when you try to do that. Act like you're showing them up or something. Reading a map is still common sense. The only thing I can really think of teaching somebody is how you look up the city/town in the back of the book and match it with the state. But all of this should have been taught in school. But he's right about the training. I saw two bobtails go through the washbay this past week. And this was only when I was paying attention. What was really funny was how one bobtail drove into the wash bay right past three white shirts(head honchos) standing at the wash bay.

11. bigmikectn

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    Rollin coal...you nailed it. I was concerned about a rookie. That's all. I have this annoying characteristic of giving a crap about other people. Lol. Sorry to hear that miles are down and things are changing for theworse. That saddens me.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.