I think I just got wet....

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by cnsper, May 25, 2016.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    @DDlighttruck The Star was the first truck that I drove and they have a whole lot more interior room in them. That truck had also gone into the median on the interstate (empty) and hit one of those emergency vehicle turnaround crossings and all that happened was the front axle was bent. Witnessing the result of a truck hitting something like that at 65 mph convinced me of the flat out toughness of the truck.

I have seen a KW that hit a pole in a parking lot less than 10 mph and break a front leaf spring. I had to go pick up the truck. He did not slide into it and he was empty. Did not hit it very hard either as it was only leaning about 2 inches.
    [​IMG]
    If you have never been in a Star then it is hard to explain. On a KW or Pete I can reach nearly 3/4 of the way across the passenger seat without leaning. In a Western Star I can touch the arm rest.

A local paving company here we haul for on occasion has both WS and KW trucks. The guys in the KW were teasing the WS drivers because the cab was so big they had to stop for lunch so that they could walk over and get it.

Fit and finish is what it is, you get bad ones from all of them. I hear lots of good things from the guys here that have the detroits in the newer trucks. Like 7 mpg average pulling double hoppers grossing 105,500. I am lucky to get 6 and most of that would be empty. The star also has a flat transition into the sleeper.

I like the looks of the Pete cab and sleeper but the rest just does not look right to me for some reason. If I ever had to sleep across the seats, I could do that easily in a Star but not in a Pete or KW.

As for the chrome.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    That's funny right there!! Isn't that the real reason to drive truck, for the wimmens?

I've heard Pete's are smaller inside, at least the 359/379s. I reluctantly drove a 586 or a 387, one of the newer ones, I could just touch the armrest. "My" first truck was a '05 IH 9400i, I still like the layout of the cab/sleeper. I'm in a Vulva now (ugh).

I would like to drive a Star car and a KW for awhile, see what they are like. I always thought Pete's were the cats meow for looks, but I'm liking more and more Stars and KWs. All the log haulers growing up had stars or KWs, the off road trucks are a smaller market that needs a tough truck.

Anyway, sexy truck. When you buy one make it similar, chicks dig truckers in nice mobile homes.

cnsper Thanks this.
  4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I've got nothing against the Western Stars (never driven one myself), and I'm sure they are tough trucks, but I don't want you to go thinkin' that all KW's break stuff in the rough. I've got an old '99 W9 that I use in the oilfield hauling frac sand. It gets beat up on a daily basis, and I've had no problems with the front suspension. I did break a couple of studs on a wishbone out back when I took a cattleguard too fast, but that one is one me. I've seen broken stuff on all different kinds of trucks on the roads we run. I don't think KW is any worse than any other. These Texas lease roads will chew 'em up and spit 'em out.

That leaf spring must have been cracked and just waiting on the right bump to finish it off. Good thing it happened in a parking lot and not on the highway.

Now I like my KW, but I wouldn't mind trying out a Star someday. And that one in your first post is a dang good lookin' rig.

cnsper Thanks this.
  5. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Nah I think they are both good rigs. That is all the company that I drive for now has. All of them are set up with 550 or better CATs and 18 speeds with 46k rears and a drop axle with 3.90 to 4.11 gearing.

We don't have stuff break like that one did either. I can only remember twice in 3 years where one of the trucks had to be towed. Make that 3 times because one truck lost a set of duals when the axle shaft started coming out. On that one they were running with another truck and just rolled it up on the lowboy and brought it home.

The room is the biggest factor for me. I can deal with a smaller sleeper when the truck itself has more room.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  6. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Nice, but I'm drooling over this one for sale, that was the Truck World show truck in Toronto, Ont.

It's at Eastgate Truck Centre.

Attached Files:

RERM, misterG, albert l and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Drove a few Canadian Western Stars. 18sp/Cat, 42mph @ 105500# on a pull w/ super b train.
    Retarder&jake/lockers/artic pack. Great trucks.

8. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    The truck in the pic is a westernstar lowmax. If your gonna want a heavy spec truck the lowmax is not for you. I believe you can only get low maxes in a 12/40 specs

9. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    I drove my buddies Low Max that had 13.5 air ride front and 46,000 rears. He pulled trains.

So I don't know about front axle.....but you could get heavy rears in them.

10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Lowmax has always been out just for the ground clearance alone.

11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    It do make a guy somewhat randy hey

cnsper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.