i want to become a truck driver but not if it's manual

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by whopperjr, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. millsjl01

millsjl01 Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Driver seat/sleeper berth
    Maybe its just me...but when I came out...there was NO way I was gonna get out on the road with the guys that have been doing this since before I was born...in an automatic.... and be able to look them in the eye and call myself a 'trucker' and expect them to take me seriously or treat me with anything other than contempt.

I had to drive one for a week to finish up training hours when I started ( regular trainer had to go home and I didn't want to wait)...not only did I hate that truck, but I was also ashamed to admit it was an auto, and quick to mention that I would not be driving one ever again.

If your one of those million milers, or one of the guys who's been doing this for so many years he almost can't remember how long, then you have earned the right to drive an automatic and take no crap about it.

As a new driver, you need to pay your dues so to speak. I don't consider someone who has only, and will only ever drive an automatic to be a "real" trucker. Sorry if that offends....but its true. I don't feel like you are a real trucker, if you can't drive whatever they put you in.

mje, rainyday lover and KW Cajun Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SemperFiServices

SemperFiServices Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Don't know about other states, but in Ca if you ain't Mexican you ain't driving a garbage truck....

mje Thanks this.
  4. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Are you joking or are you serious?

5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Always thought that O'l truck I

6. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Always thought that O'l truck I use to drive with the 318 Detroit and the twin sticks was a great starter truck for anyone, guess this is a sign that times are changing for sure. Guess that idle right hand will give more time to play with a phone or.....?

7. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    US Xpress has been buying 2014 Freightliner automatics but only for teams.

8. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    Is there a company I can call who will sent out someone to back up my truck when needed ? I love going forward but not backwards.

producelove85 and luvtotruck Thank this.
  9. Warren Earp

Warren Earp Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Oregon
    Don't be intimidated by by shifting. It's actually a minor detail when it comes to driving truck.

producelove85 Thanks this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    But if need be you know how to handle the manual don't you?Nothing wrong with the auto,but one shouldn't limit his or her choices,learn both.

Snowshoes Thanks this.
  11. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    An Auto in Manual mode shifts was smoother then most drivers on a manual. Whether your in auto mode or not, an auto trans is nicer on the engine and drive train. That being said, the best drivers can out drive auto with a manual and do it smooth. But most of us arnt the best driver and grind every once in a while.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.