i will be driving straight box truck, is it considered experience?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Moe21, Sep 6, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One intersection in Taneytown Maryland if you have to make a right turn onto State 140 east downtown, you will be swinging that tractor against oncoming traffic which DOES have a white line against them some distance BACK from the actual intersection to accomodate your tractor.

You MUST be eyeballs all over that right mirrior during this right turn. Your trailer tandems on that 48 or 53 is going to be either a few inches from the curved corner curb all the way around or rubbing GENTLY on it. (DO not rub if you can at all avoid it, you can totally render trailer tires unsafe and need replacement at what? 1000 dollars for a set of two retail?

Overview of 194 north to 140 east Taneytown Maryland. (Looking eastward) it is a extreme trucking turning area constant trucks all sizes in all 4 directions. If you went north past this on 194 it's Hanover-Gettysburg eventually You can go anywhere from that region. If you went east Baltimore becomes a possibility after about 70 miles. Frederick and I-70 is about 15 miles behind you on 194 south, give or take a little bit.

Obviously if you ran I-70 to Baltimore from Frederick it's about 60 miles give or take a few. But when you are transitioning between VA and PA using US 15 etc this town is one of my little backwoods routes I use in a big truck and a fine example of how all towns should treat big trucks with the white lines in the intersections on all 4 ways. You have the freedom to swing a trailer around that corner.

State 140 after a roundabout experience (Use all the pavement coming around) becomes a 4 laner divided eventually after a few more towns in 10 miles or so. Then it's a relatively easy ride to Baltimore once you clear the stop lights onto I-795

Google Maps

Taneytown 194 with truck turn set back white line 1.jpg

Taneytown turn scenario 2.jpg

Taneytown 140 Scenario 3.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I drove dump truck for a summer now I drive tanker tractor trailer locally. It's posdible. I don't have otr experience but I now have local tractor trailer experience. I'm not really looking for otr at this point in my life anyways. I'm staying put for the foreseeable future anyways my job works well for me.

See if there are any milk haulers in your area, milk haulers as in bulk pickup and plant delivery. In my opinion it's much more valuable experience then 10 wheeler box truck. I know of a few out here that took people right out of school and trained them further on a local bassis. A good company won't expect you to just jump in the truck and do it right out of school.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.