I70 Denver

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Texastrucker91, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Texastrucker91

Texastrucker91 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Can any experience/vets give me some info about how to handle I70 WEST/East of DENVER. I drove through that for the first time after midnight and I was nervous can't lie. Mountains will make or break you. But glad I'm getting the experience. Have to go that was again. Only been driving 6months Class A
    I've been mountains in Cali,I17 in Flagstaff and Donner Pass. First time on 70

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Daw1234

Daw1234 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2017
    First of all get your head straight. Its not a race. Your job is to get up and down safely. Gear down and use your engine brake for 95% of your braking. If you are using your brakes for more than that they'll be hot if you really need them.
    If thats the case you need to slow down and downshift.
    If you are uncomfortable, slow down, put on your flashers and let everybody go around you.
    Downshift sooner than you normally would, as the truck will slow quickly while shifting and you could end up bogging, missing another shift, and coming to a complete stop. If so just start from a stop and go up to 18-20 mph. Above that only if not fully loaded.
    Speeds down depend on load and conditions. Last thursday e bound I came down at 28 mph 78000 lbs. Just before chain laws went into effect. Same road dry light load I'll do 55.

Milkman719 and Texastrucker91 Thank this.
  4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    All I could say is "the heavier, the better" for when dealing with that particular pass. The way I see it, the 70 going through Vail and such would be the better of all the mountain passes when it comes to snow removal and road care during the winter. Warnings of chain-ups and road conditions posted by the minute on their CDOT site and app. Armies of snow-plows consistently going up and down the pass at all hours when the snow is falling. And then of course their "max" chain-up requirements are pretty quick and easy to adhere to once you get used to throwing them on. All singles, trailer chain-up optional.
    If I was still doing long-haul, I'd roll through here as opposed to Donner, Snoqualmie, or any of the coastal state passes that just tend to throw it right at you.

LET THE ROASTING BEGIN.

Texastrucker91 Thanks this.
  5. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Anticipate what is ahead of you. Traffic, turns, snow blown across the road, the occasional rock and so on. Pay close attention to what your truck is doing. Always err on the side of caution and that means slow down. Bad things happen when you do not have enough experience with mountains.
    On the way up, there is plenty of time to think. Not so much going down the other side. If you get stressed, pull over and that a break.

Texastrucker91 Thanks this.
  6. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Light, steady pressure on the brakes if you're loaded to keep it below about 25 mph on those grades. Be in a lower gear and let the jake brakes do the work. Definitely don't let it get over about 30. Let off the brakes completely for a half second about every 15 seconds to vent the gases that build up on the shoe surfaces. If you have to jam on the brakes for a split second to get it down fast, do it. Just don't lock 'em up. But don't keep that heavy pressure on the brakes. If you have to hold down on the pedal with grunt for longer than about a second, you're going too fast. If the brakes are smoking and the man sees you, you could possibly be pulled over. Plus hot brakes can overheat and glaze over, and they can even crack. Plus they can fade all together and you'll be in a hot pickle.

Texastrucker91 and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  7. Texastrucker91

Dec 13, 2017
    I took my time and stayed in low gears. This time I not heavy only around 30000 pounds

8. Texastrucker91

Dec 13, 2017

9. Texastrucker91

Dec 13, 2017
    And I stay off the brakes, I take my time. I'm going westbound this time but I'm only 30000 pounds.
    Thanks for the advice/knowledge and no chains yet.
    I'm only chain up in Wyoming so far this year

10. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    More information on the gases that build up in a brake shoe system and cause fade.

Brake fade - Wikipedia

11. Texastrucker91

Dec 13, 2017
    I only chained up in Wyoming so far but I'm like only around 30000 pounds going West on 70 this time. I done the Mountains in Cali but 70 was a test for me

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.