I75 through Atlanta

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mitmaks, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Sorta, but not really that much. I've done it twice when 285 was jacked up by an accident. But I wouldn't recommend it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    They have no way to enforce it shy of taking pictures going in and coming out, and MUCH better things to do with their time. But like many have said, dont do it in daylight. I went through there about a month ago in a 4 wheeler and it took nearly 3 hours. At night (like 0 dark 30) you just breeze through.

4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Always ran 75 thru the middle when it was convenient for me and I've never seen it enforced in 20+ years.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  5. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Ah, you guys should have run it before it grew., say 1954/55.
    Going in on US78 from B'ham, just run it straight thru downtown out to Decatur and pick up US 29 on to Athens and on north to the Carolinas...
    Or, whack off south at Douglasville, and run (now) Campbelltown Rd over to hit US29 at Ft McPherson's gate, up it to Memorial Drive, then right/east and on out to Decatur to go up... Directions to run down/around were:

Turn off in Douglasville, past the Sinclair Truck Stop, follow that road by taking the main/biggest way at any split/crossing etc. till you come to U S29, take a left /north and go by Ft McPherson's gate and then a right /east on Memorial Drive, running it on out to Decatur and 29/78 for Athens...

(There was no assigned highway number posted, as it met, crossed, joined other roads. You just took the "mainest " portion. Riddell, Canton, MS, Marble City Cotton Express and Floyd & Beasley out of Sylacauga, AL usually ran this way. Till you got used to it, you just hung one of them and chased him thru. You would come out in Douglasville, or Decatur, depending on which way you were going.)

6. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    I did run it back in the mid 70s (75-76) just after they finished the greater freeway system. Was 5 lanes and no one used them, it was GREAT!! I used to train Rangers and their mountain training area is north of Atlanta (Dahlonega, Ga) and I would drive up from Ft Benning.

JolliRoger Thanks this.
  7. The one california kid

The one california kid Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    285? You guys talking about the watermelon 500?

8. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I’ve seen a few guys get busted .

sometimes the DOT will sit right inside and pull trucks just to check the bills and see if you’re delivering or picking up inside .

Blagoje, tscottme and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Never heard of or seen them do that. How do you know that's what they were writing tickets for? You know drivers who got busted? I have seen them set up just inside the perimeter there just like you said, they do that all the time. But if you keep your truck in the right lane and go the speed limit they won't even give you a second look. That's what I've always done and I've never been pulled over through there. Now if you are involved in an accident that wasn't your fault all of a sudden it becomes your fault because you're not supposed to be there. At my current company I'd just ride around the 285 and avoid it but in my truck I always cut through there if it saved time. It's not enforced unless you act stupid.

Knucklehead and JolliRoger Thank this.
  10. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    A long time ago I would have to go into the center to deliver sheetrock.. you usually wouldn't get more than a few miles in before you got pulled over. Show the cop the BOL and they'll let you go if you have a delivery to the center somewhere

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  11. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Ive been through the middle..... you'll save time running 285 anyways...... traffic is usually bad going through town.

As far as enforcement, im sure it does happen but, every time I go through there....there are lots of trucks going through 75/85/and 20.

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.