Idle policy

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by Safari Joe, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

LOL... Gotcha... I can understand it, in a way... They are running a business, they have to try to control costs as well... Sometime they go overboard!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    the biggest problem is that there are some who just plain abuse it, I will hear people idling at 60-70 degrees outside, like come on that should be comfortable enough....one guy I was working with on a gig was idling one night and I asked him why and he said he got a little chilly, he didnt even know what the webasto heater nob was for....

4. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Yep... Now Klingon is a touch 'old school' and will leave the truck idling... I have to remind him that WE are paying for the fuel, and with the newer engines you don't NEED the extended warm-up/cool-down time.

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Its been quite some time having to deal with the idle policy and when I did I never reached even 30%,so how many hrs can you idle before it reaches 30% or whatever percentage your company requires?

6. Treputt

Treputt Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    It's 30% of the engine operating time, not including warm-up. So 100 hours of operating time, gets you 30 hours of idle time. Or, so I'm told... :biggrin_2556:

pattyj Thanks this.
  7. Wolfyinc

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    I idled the first time last night in a long time but to see if I could sleep better, I have sleep apnea so I have to use my bpap and it seems when I am running the webasto heater along with my machine the inverter cuts out from voltage drop I guess and my machine cuts in and out constantly while beeping at me. The company told me they would hard wire an inverter for my machine but they want a letter from my doctor stating I need to use my machine while on the road.

How stupid is that? I gave them all my medical papers that shows I need my machine every night yet they want something stating I need it in my truck.....if I need to use it at home to sleep then DUH I need it in the truck to sleep, sometimes I swear people can be ignorant. If I could find an easy way to run jumpers into the cab then I would just wire it up that way at night.

8. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

As company drivers we were able to put an inverter in our truck, but it was on our dime... Always an option :)

9. Wolfyinc

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    thats your company, swift policy is no inverters unless for a medical issue like mine but I have to go through the trouble of trying to see my doctor during home time which is hard to get for a set date, I would be more than happy to spend some money to stick a nice inverter in the truck if they would let me

10. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Ah.. Swift.. We are with Central Ref..

11. Safari Joe

Safari Joe Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Tampa,Fl
    January it all re-becomes swift

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.