idleing?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by csw1218, Aug 3, 2011.

1. csw1218

csw1218 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2011
    aberdeen nc
    so whats the deal with truckers idleing? every truck stop ive ever been too they alway do thus, like the other day i was at a truck stop in rockingham nc off of 74 bypass went in and ate at hardees and i bet theres 15-20 trucks sittin outside all idleing as we walked out, i told my buddy and i quote "listen to those 500bhp engines idle" im an interested guy who is thinking of trucking and i have many questions

Civilservant Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Air conditioner only runs when the truck does.

Sapper Daddy87 and Raiderfanatic Thank this.
  4. csw1218

csw1218 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2011
    aberdeen nc
    well that somes it up haha thanks

5. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    And heat too...For the winter time I mean...

6. csw1218

csw1218 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2011
    aberdeen nc
    yea i watch alot of trucking shows like ice road truckers dangerous roads, etc. and i see in irt how they have to keep them running or the engines will freeze and not turn over

7. corneileous

corneileous Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Podunk, OK
    I dont know about any other tractors that have this, but Freightliner has an optional system called Park Smart. It allows you to keep cool in the summer and warm in the winter for like up to 8 hours depending on how cold-natured or hot natured you are without idling or the need for an APU.

For keeping cool in the summertime, the system has a seperate set of batteries that runs an electric ac compressor that circulates the refrigerant and blows cold air out of the vents without idling the motor the same way as if you were idling.

For keeping warm in the winter, the Park Smart has a diesel fuel-powered heater that siphons diesel fuel from the tanks and heats the engine's coolant, blowing warm air from the vents. Since it heats up and circulates the coolant, it also serves as kind of a block heater to ease in easier starts in the morning.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    SOunds a bit like an APU. They also had a system called opti idle. You turn it on and 1 setting will just monitor battery voltage and oil temp. Should the battery voltage drop too low or the engine oil drop below 60 degrees it will start the truck and idle it. If you turn on the sleeper thermostat it will start the truck and idle it until your cab reaches the set temp like a home furnace/ac thermostat. My opti idle is broke though so I use a gatorade bottle wedged between the brake and throttle pedal so I don't wake up in a 90 degree cab pouring sweat.

9. Diligent

Diligent Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Stay away from it man, go back to or stay in school; an ugly, ugly occupation! 34 years later, ask me, I know!

10. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Ever park your car at the mall and go shopping? You come back and the interior is hot (or cold)? Well we live, eat, and sleep (8-10 hours) in that. We run our engines so we have heat (or cooling) and electricity for our phone, computers, and cooking devices. Some rigs have extra heating systems that run without the engine, or a small engine that runs the systems called an Auxilary Power Unit (APU). Without the engine (or devices) we are that dog left in the car being frozen or cooked:biggrin_25513::biggrin_25513:.

Hope that helps.

ChaoSS and Civilservant Thank this.
  11. csw1218

csw1218 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2011
    aberdeen nc
    yea i got the point pretty much now, but wouldnt you lose alot of diesel doing so?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.