idleing?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by csw1218, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    about 1 gallon an hour if using the engine. APU's use about 1 gallon every 8 hrs or so I've heard.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tanker Hauler

Tanker Hauler Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2010
    New England
    Yes, you use a substantial amount of fuel, but, how are going to get some rest if you don't.

4. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Here's what i don't get; If parents/mothers are being prosecuted for leaving their kids in a car on a hot day, then why is it a problem for a driver to idle in order to keep cool?

Do you see the logic of what i'm trying to get at? Just something to think about.

5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The logic is "a small child is not able to get out of the car", while a grown person would.

6. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Right, but what i'm trying to get at is at the very basics of it is it's also about the premise of temperature; If the parent left the child inside and it was 65 degrees outside no-one would bat an eye.

7. 7060

7060 Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Our trucks usually burn about 1.3 gph, which if you idle your truck all night for 8 hours with 4 dollar fuel thats $32. It would be well worth $32 for a/c or heat especially with 90 degree night temperatures here. I have a diesel pickup too and if its real hot or cold outside I lock it with it running while I go in the store or something.

8. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Let's face it. The rules are here to stay.
    The over the hill, politically correct, global warming, hole in the ozone, tree hugging, save the spotted snail darter fairies have convinced the spineless politicians that their pseudo science babble is the only way to think.
    If you're going to stay in the trucking business, the only solution (in my opinion) is to get an APU and call it the cost of doing business.

9. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Southern NH
    What is the alternative?...spending $75 on a hotel room (good luck parking your truck at most hotels)?
    Sure with fuel get $$, it does not look as bad as it was at 2$ per gallon...but still, that is more than a company driver may make in a day....(company pays for fuel).

But when it is hot and humid...and you need to sleep, get some rest, there is not much choice...remember about 85 outside is like 100 in a truck...windows open....EVEN IF IT IS SAFE TO DO SO..SOME AREA..DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!
    PS YOU CAN BE ARRESTED FOR ANIMAL CRUITY LEAVING A PET IN A CAR>>>WHY NOT A TRUCKER?!
    Winter is not so bad...many trucks have bunk heaters...add a good sleeping bag...ok
    Many more truck have bunk heaters...kinda like a mini furnace, just like on the old VW bugs...but relatively few trucks have an APU to run a AC in the heat....

10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    The thing is drivers have a choice. When you look for a job add APU to your list.

11. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    If all driver's made having an APU part of the criteria for applying at companies, those companies who didn't have them would soon find themselves woefully short of driver's.
    But, I guess there will alway's be some that just don't get it and accept a job fom a carrier that won't take driver comfort into account. They are their own worst enemy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.