Idling a 2020 Cascadia

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by DeadOnTime, Mar 8, 2019.

1. DeadOnTime

DeadOnTime Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2019
    I started with a new company and leased a 2020 Cascadia. Truck did not come with an APU and I can't afford one right now. It will idle fine. It did come with a 1500W inverter and a bunch of standard power outlets that are useless unless you are on shore power which will be never.

Now... I have been told that idling too much will kill the truck. I've been told that idling too much will just mean I need to regen more often. I have always had an APU, and have never had to idle. So I'm wondering what the real deal is here. I have a fridge and a multicooker, a TV and a bunch of things that need power.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    if you are able to high idle your truck it will keep the exhaust hot enough to keep dpf running smooth...my company disables that in my truck so i idle all night at 600rpm and it will do a auto regen every night usually lasts for a couple minutes...and if idle more than 10-12hours i will have to do a force regen(pressing the button on dash) can last anywhere from 30 minutes to a hour .. i have a 16 cascadia, and in the manual they recommend idling at 900 rpm to keep dpf running smoothly.. i would check your manual , it should have all the info u need

Hulld, Dave_in_AZ and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    but ultimatly idling your engine is just adding more wear and tear to all the moving parts on it , not to mention the dpf/def system... being a company driver if my truck takes a #### i get a new one, but if ur a lease/owner op making payments and trying to run a profitable business those idling hours add up over time and just contributing to the countdown to ur trucks death and/or a big repair bill

dunchues Thanks this.
  5. DeadOnTime

DeadOnTime Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Yeah. I just need to make sure it's not going to be an issue for a few months until I can afford an apu. Thanks for the input!

KB3MMX and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Bottom line is newer emissions engines hate idling for anything more than warm ups and cool downs .
    You can idle but It will cost you in the long term .

roshea, KB3MMX, dunchues and 2 others Thank this.
  7. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    If your a lease driver I would not pay to have an APU put on that truck. What happens if you fail or thy fail and you lose the truck there goes your 10k plus investment down the road. If you owned it sure but on a lease no way.

8. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I drive a 2016 Cascadia too, I idle at 900 and it still goes into Regen once a night. Feel like an ### waking up the entire truck stop at night. I just sleep with the truck off and hopefully don't freeze to death in my sleep

9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    It should have auto elevate. My 2017 truck does. You can set the idle to 900 rpm. After 8 hours the DPF will fill up. Now the computers will raise the engine to 1250rpm and to a 20 minute regen. That's what my truck will do. Plus it has automatic starts and engine start. The old Detroit Optimized idle system they had in the 90s. Today the computers will do automatic parked Regen. I have timed it just like clock work every 8 hours of idle time entry will Regen DPF automatic.

10. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    You've got a shore power plug.? It will be a bit of a pain to walk over to the gas pumps, but I'd just get a little generic whisper 2200 watt generater. Seen them as cheap as $350 at Aldi. Burns like a gallon of gas a night. Your truck will burn roughly 10 of diesel a night. The thing will pay for itself in fuel alone in 12 to 14 nights. Not to mention you won't be adding extra wear & tear to the truck.. That's what I'd do before I idled any DPF equipped truck I owned, or paid to maintain..

Dave_in_AZ and mpd240 Thank this.
  11. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2019
    $10k apu is a no brainer.
    Save your expensive truck.
    You'll quickly incur $10 k in repairs of the def system.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.