Idling/Fuel

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CMoore2004, Jul 9, 2008.

1. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    Just thought I'd mention my phone arrived at home today. Too bad I won't be home until Saturday (at the earliest) to test it out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. james henry

james henry Bobtail Member

May 14, 2008
    clinton,north carolina
    I have a 04 volvo with isx cummins and the computer tell me it is doing about .7 so i guess it has to do with the motor and how high you idle it up.

4. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    I have no idea how that post about my phone got in this thread, considering I didn't even mean to post it to this message board at all.

5. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    Cottage Grove, MN
    No, I walk inside of the building that I am stopping at. I would imagine they have some AC. If it's just a short idle time I'd do it, but I wouldn't idle it for more than 15 minutes just sitting there.

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

You are going to plan on spending your entire break in the lounge at the truck stop?

I have delivered to alot of places that don't allow the driver anywhere to go but a caged area and no rest room at the delivery point.

I have also been at a dock that has taken several hours to unload.

Let us know how your plan works out in the real world.

7. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I've heard 1 to 3 gals/hour for idle time, based on the truck, etc.

doesn't an APU use about a half gal / hour? Or was that per night? My mind is mush. with no milk for flavor. Forget about sugar or cinnamon

A company called "Breezway" has fans that are custom fit for most front cab windows - and screens, too. They're a little spendy - but I think they are likely worth it. I'm most comfortable with the fans exhausting the air and pulling it in via the vents in the bunk walls.

(I've seen vents, windows in the back wall - but that's mostly on flapjackers, not guys who haul boxes)

8. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    Cottage Grove, MN
    Depends on the APU. I've seen some units only use .1-.2g/hour. Takes a few years for them to pay themselves off as they cost $6-$12k right off the top.

9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN

I've been at the same truck stop for 3 days, it's 98 degrees now and even at night the pavement radiates the heat back into the truck. Most companies buy trucks with no insulation, so I've been idling almost nonstop. We have the opti-idle. If they didn't want me to idle, they would preplan loads. I guess I could be a good employee and stand in the truckstop like you would. :biggrin_2559:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.