idling your truck

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by sgtkrav, Nov 17, 2013.

1. sgtkrav

sgtkrav Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Puyallup, WA
    I have 2010 peterbilt that shuts down after running for 5 min. Its 31 degrees and I am tired of not getting any sleep from freezing. I thought these trucks were supposed to stay running when it hits a certain temp. There has got to be a way to keep the truck running in this weather. Obviously I could stick something on the accelerator to keep it going but there has to be a better way. Any advice?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I don't know if its the same with Pete's, but I've got a Volvo and about 1 min before it shuts off, it'll say something like "idle shutdown" on the dash display. When it says this, if I barely push in the clutch and tap the gas, it overrides the shutdown and let's it idle. Also, I used to have a KW T2000 and if I just set the trailer brakes and left the truck brakes released, it wouldn't shut down.

Also, you might want to try the high-idle. Turn on the cruise control and use the acc/coast buttons to adjust the idle speed while parked. Idling it up a bit may override the shutdown.

You might want to repost this in the Peterbilt forum too. Good luck

4. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Hey, I have heard that a Laptop bag wedged between the seat and the throttle keeps it running, rev it up to about between 900-1100 RPM's and let her go, I also know for a fact that if you set the cruise after you rev it up that it will stick to, I just don't remember who these ideas come from and if you company asks you about the additional fuel usage tell them there must be someone stealing it! Unless they have a meter on your idle time then tell the truth. If these don't work, Then get a motel, I wouldn't leave the truck to not run much under the freezing point, depending on what you are hauling, but that is another thread in itself. Please see my Signature.

5. luvtotruck

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Nice! Now we are telling guys to set their trailer brakes in freezing weather... WOW! :biggrin_25512: this will freez the brakes and he will be dragging the tires on the trailer to flat spots and beyond! Don't set the trailer brakes if you can help it, if you do, I know a guy who had to call a roadside service to come free up his brakes!. Not a good idea.

6. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    12 volt heating pad/blanket

12 volt ceramic heater

Espar/wabasto bunk fuel fired heater.

7. 8thnote

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Pour a little rubbing alcohol on the inside of the drums IF the brakes freeze. Problem solved. And personally, I would rather have frozen brakes than a frozen me. It's all about priorities.

8. sgtkrav

sgtkrav Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Puyallup, WA
    Cummings_444, I tried buying a 12 volt heater and guess what, after 5 min an alarm starts beeping and shuts that off too

9. 8thnote

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    also, if the weather is dry, no worries. And why would trailer brakes freeze and truck brakes not? I believe your logic is flawed

10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    The line of thinking is that the drives put off heat. But if parked for10hr break any can freeze. Not a big problem just a pain. Have to crawl under and smack with hammer.

11. luvtotruck

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Heat from idling truck keeps truck brakes from freezing, Try it slipping into a rest area and setting your trailer brakes after slopping through snow and crap all day, they are going to get wet. But it isn't my road side bill. Take Care.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.