im a complaining rookie, am I wrong?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TheRedskinsWay, Mar 12, 2012.

1. TheRedskinsWay

TheRedskinsWay Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Columbia SC
    First ill like to say I really enjoy otr driving. I enjoy just about everything about otr. But recently I was taken out of my Cascadia and put into one of these horrible midroof tiny midroof petes. I was pissed, there is zero ,room, zero storage I cant walk upright, I have to nearly do a duckwalk to move around. bang my head, knee, and arms costantly. I cant live in this piece of ####. I came to my sense and told myself to shut up and suck it up. so I went to sleep, and woke up at 3am because I was freezing(27degrees) and turned the truck and heater on, 2 mins later it turns off telling no idle, how the hell am I supposed to stay warm or cool when I cant ####### idle! Am I just complaining to much ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pdizzle

pdizzle Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2011
    could you idle the truck up with the cruise control to stop it from shutting down? Like in the volvo's?

4. Peterbeatinit

Peterbeatinit Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    San Antonio Tx
    I dunno..there are ways to get past th idle issue

set the trailer brakes, don't set the tractor braes..chock the wheels..tricks the ecu into thinking the truck isn't parked...and it will idle..

Petey

5. Truck609

Truck609 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Arizona
    Sorry to hear that man, I know it sucks. I spent years crawling over doghouses, laying flat on my back to put my britches on everyday. Try talking with someone about getting a bunk heater or APU or something. In the meantime, get a nice sleeping bag and extra blankets....long underwear helps too.
    Most of us put up with cab over coffin sleepers for years before we got into conventionals, much less one we could actually stand up in! Trucks have come a long way in the last couple of decades. Unfortunately for you, they started you out in something semi comfortable and you got used to it. So are you complaining too much? I think so, but that said, this is 2012 after all and you should be able to work something out with your company regarding anti idle alternatives to staying warm.

6. streetmaster

streetmaster Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Thats because you work for someone else, you have to drive what they give you and like it, yeah the man that hired you, does'nt have to be in a hot or cold truck but does have to pay for the fuel that you idle away try'in to stay worm or cool.:biggrin_25523:

7. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Yours are perfect issues that new drivers should asking about with potential employers. Too many ask "How much am I paid, Is it a KW, Pete, FL, etc. Can I take the truck home?"
    More important (at least to me) are questions like, "Does it have a APU? Does it have an inverter? What is the idle policy? What is my home time?"
    Your issues are valid, but you are there. You are new.
    It is probably best to stick it out for a bit before changing jobs. In the meantime, speak with your company about the possibility of changing back out to a different truck.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Your complaints are perfectly valid.See about getting a bigger trk.Far as the no idling,companies frown on that.They're in a cushy office all day so why should they care about the drivers.You'll find that with every company and they will fire if the idleing percentage is too high.

Gizmo_Man Thanks this.
  9. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Oh yes...perfectly valid.

Didn't see the equipment. Didn't ask any questions. Didn't listen in orientation.

Assumed as a new driver, they would get their own choice of NEW trucks.

10. Gizmo_Man

Gizmo_Man Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    No, you have some valid points as the others have said. But I'd like to know is why did they take your truck away??

Was it due to be traded in due to the miles it had on it?

Did the company get a fantastic deal on the other trucks?

Do the other trucks get better fuel mileage?

I may not be as tall as you (I am 5'9.5") so I don't need to duck.

There has to be some reason(s) why they took the truck away from you.

But in the meantime, it's a job, so just do it. If something else better comes along (job wise) then leave them. But be forewarned, the possibility exists that any company you go to, they switch you out of one truck from another.

What will you do then, continually switch jobs??

I wish you well, you are not making a big deal out of this, so that goes a long way.

11. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Prime has a billion trucks with apus" tell them you want a bigger truck

American Trucker

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.