I'm baaaaaack!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Captain Zoom, Dec 5, 2014.

1. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    No need to apologize, I learned something about the Fiero and GM policies that I didn't know before.

Just wish someone could explain the decision to shut down both Pontiac AND Oldsmobile (my favorite of all the brands out there) as clearly. I'll take the old Rocket and Arrowhead over a Chevy or Buick any day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    gm had too many brands that all cost money for parts dealerships etc etc. Simpler now with fewer brands. Only a few Cadillac dealers per state, so guess how many Cadillac owners now drive a Lexus? Zoomy don't forget those unforgettable stories about selling cars. You backup occupation should be on a stage telling stories. Still laugh when I think of those stories of arguing with a customer (who was in on the joke) .Don't ever change......

Captain Zoom Thanks this.
  4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    They could have spun off Pontiac and Oldsmobile as separate companies. Ford did it with all the brands they had bought up over the years (Jaguar, Kia, and so on).

5. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Ford only owned a SMALL stake in KIA same as with MAZDA as for GM spinning off PONTIAC and OLDSMOBILE they would have just been more competition of which GM did not need at the time.

6. Captain Zoom

Captain Zoom Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    You gotta remember GM was run by an accountant for a while. Pontiac and Oldsmobile lost their brand identities thanks to GM's insipid "brand engineering" phase (sell the same dang car under three or four different nameplates, or in Oldsmobile's case, slap the word "Cutlass" on everything they make since folks will buy any old piece of krapp with that name on the trunk).

Towards the end, most people couldn't tell an Aurora from an Intrigue from more than 20 paces. And a G5 was a G6 was a Cobalt was...well, you get the idea.

When competent leadership took the reins, it was clear that GM had become a bloated parody of it's former self. It was time to trim some deadwood. Pontiac, Olds, and Saturn went bye bye, as none of them had anything truly unique to offer the buying populace (the only thing we lost forever was the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice, an American version of the Opel Speedster that may be returning in a few years as a new Corvair/Monza). Even the iconic GTO underpins the current Camaro and the G8 sedan is the new Chevy SS--both based on GM's Holden Monaro from Australia.

The current lineup is much more distinct than ever before. Chevrolet is the working man's value rich staple, Buick is upper middle class, Cadillac is ultimate luxury performance, GMC is commercial grade. There is always some spillover (the rip snortin, ground poundin, rootin tootin, sunuvabichin, flag wavin, almighty Cor-Gawdammed-Vette being the most noteable example), but the brand identities are much more clear now than they were before. And they're putting out some durn fine product.

It's just a shame that Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Saturn had to be sacrificed on the altar of an accountant's hubris. Accountants should not be allowed to set policy at automotive manufacturers. Neither should engineers. That is the job of a savvy CEO, who should be getting input from both the car guys and the beancounters to help make decisions for the good of the company.

mcnabbtransport Thanks this.
  7. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    More lecturing. I got a pretty big soap box about the American car industry. We have the capability to blow everybody out of the water but we can't get our act together politically long enough to pull ahead of the pack. Meanwhile South Korea is kicking the world auto industry's collective rear end up between their methaphorical shoulders.

8. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Truck truck truckin trucker breaker breaker clutch shift shift truck stop coffee sleeper. Dispatchers evil, DOT bad, shippers receivers brokers bad evil. Hot chicks, payday, home time.

Diesel.

(That oughtta put us back on the trucking topic!)

9. socal

socal Medium Load Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Come truck the west coast here is what your missing......

Mount Shasta yesterday and LA today image.jpg

Attached Files:

Rugerfan and Captain Zoom Thank this.
  10. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    well I want to know if zoomie made it out of Kentucky?

11. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    No, Zoomie did not make it out of Kentucky.

I was about to make it out of Kentucky. I was exiting my parking space (had to back out due to ice and incline).

Hopped out to G.O.A.L. due to a truck behind me.

Then some lady makes a series of really stupid decisions that result in the back of her trailer embedded in my front end, obliterating the driver side headlight cluster, fender, fog light, lower bumper, fender, fender mirror, hood, and possibly my front suspension.

Tow truck will be here tomorrow due to weather.

I will be out of commission for an unspecified amount of time.

I have fired the goat.

double yellow, FLATBED and mnmover Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.