I'm blind in one eye need help.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by firemanbill, Dec 31, 2010.

1. VaYardHorse

VaYardHorse Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2016
    driver after driver I spoke with said the same thing "Hmm...so, riddle me this - what's the difference between a construction laden rush hour in memphis and a construction laden rush hour in Northern VA when you're behind the wheel of a CMV?"

...my thoughts precisely.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    DOT Rules for the deaf is simple. 500 hertz, 1000 hertz and 2000 hertz at 40 Db or better corrected or not.

I can get down to 20Db corrected on any of that. My hearing quits at 5400 hertz so you can say I only get half a stereo set. Im one of those deaf. No waivers in sight.

I have gone after carriers in the past when they call bs on my hearing. FSMC would get involved as well now and then.

What I worry about is age, Im getting ornery and only hear the #### I wanna hear LOLZ.

4. Norestrictiondriver

Norestrictiondriver Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Greetings Bill, I too have been blind in right eye since birth. U4EA is probably reason why. So I don't have to see narcissistic ignorance as I pass it on the highway. I have had my drivers license since age of 16, I am now 51. Have you tried to get your license yet? My driving record is exceptional. Have only had to retake test once in all my years and that was because I successfully obtained my CM1 license (motorcycle). Our handicap is no different than hand controls for amputees. Handicapped is handicapped. I never experienced any problems with Ca DMV. I believe everyone deserves an opportunity, what they do with it will determine ones continued privilege.

5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    I'd make a joke about being able to 'see' the problem..... But I don't think that's possible.

Fact: We're not 'created equal'.
    Fact: Just because mom tells you 'You can be whatever you want to be!' doesn't make it true.

I don't think there's an exemption for monocular vision. If so, how is it classified / accounted for?

I'm curious as to whether or not Mr. Peanut can drive the truck.

6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    You can grandfather in with an existing cdl in Texas for intrastate, but you can't upgrade to a cdl being blind in one eye.
    When I worked for ConAgra we had a driver roll over(not at fault, was tboned by another truck) and lost his left eye in the accident.
    He was able to pull a medical exemption from Texas for intrastate as he had been driving since the 70's.(not sure on the time limit for "grandfathered"). He ended up leaving and running oil field tankers in East Texas until he retired anyway.

7. dhaliwalg

dhaliwalg Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2017
    I am a Certified Medical Examiner for DOT Physicals to certify CDL drivers for over 20 years. Today I got a driver in my office to re-certify his CDL while being 20/100 from one eye. I asked him to get it corrected with corrective lenses. He produces a letter from Florida Highway Safety & Motor Vehicle stating that person with one eye can get exemption for intrastate within Florida. I was upset since the driver lied to me that he did not get glasses to correct the vision. In fact he could not get correction. Of course the driver tried to argue and even asked the Executive Director from Tallahassee to call me. I refused to issue the certification for CDL driving and I am proud of my decision.
    Certified Medical Examiner from Florida

8. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    What are you proud of ? Not submitting to the authority of Florida Highway Safety & Motor Vehicle or keeping who you consider an unfit person from being certified safe.

9. Txhookem1

Txhookem1 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2017
    I agree people with disabilities can do things as well, if not better than some non disabled people!! And NO I'm not blind in one eye! In Texas you can obtain a waiver from the State to obtain a CDL

10. Legarto

Legarto Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2017
    My friend is in the same fix, accept that he has a CDL and his doc passed him with 20/80. He sees better than he did when he drove for 18 years, but he let his CDL go and recently got it back. his doc passed him with 20/80 for some reason. He might be able to get a state vision waiver but thinking that none of the big companies will take him if he isn't 20/40. It is frustrating. All that experience and millions of miles with no accidents, but those are the current rules. I can understand companies not wanting to with their insurance they have now. I have no doubt that certain individuals somehow shine and do excel past their disabilities.

11. Legarto

Legarto Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Amen...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.