I'm blind in one eye need help.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by firemanbill, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Legarto

Legarto Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Wow, so does he have glasses? Do you know his vision? My friend is trying to get an instate vision waiver and has 20/80 with his glasses.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Legarto

Legarto Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Good luck and safe travels. I was under the impression that a state waiver is required first and then when you have driven short haul in your state for a few years you can apply for federal waiver. Just check before you go! Wishing you the best!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. Legarto

Legarto Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2017
    What was your vision then? My friend trucked for 15 years, let his CDL go and recently got it back. His examiner gave him his medical card with a 20/80 (with his glasses) He has a lazy eye from birth. He is going back next week to get a state waiver hopefully. Do you think he has any chance at a company hiring him if he is not 20/40? I figured he could maybe find some short haul and then apply for federal later. Do you have a federal waiver?

5. Legarto

Legarto Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2017
    It is crazy. Safety is a top priority but I think they are whittling down who can drive now! I suppose if your neck girth is too big you can't drive. There will be no one to drive if they keep over regulating.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You need two eyeballs, depth perception. Otherwise you would not be able to measure a distance remaining to docking your 53 footer.

7. Patrick Hill

Patrick Hill Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2017
    I was wondering could I apply for a cdl with a lazy eye

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One driver recently posted he just "renewed" his cdl and he has lazy eye in one eye.
    Another, in a different state, posted he was told he can't get a cdl due to lazy eye.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If he has a DOT medical card, many companies will hire him. Tell him to go with a company that doesn't require another physical and will accept his current physical card. Which state does your friend live in? I would wear prescription sunglasses to hide the lazy eye, at least until after orientation and he's on the road.

10. alfordj1

alfordj1 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2017

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.