I'm going to quit swift

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by USA_forever, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    A Camera watching a driver has never prevented an accident and never will. There are plenty of Trucking companies that have good safety records that don't use driver facing cameras or collision avoidance systems. The old saying goes "You get what you pay for". These bottom feeder companies are getting exactly what they are paying for. There are a lot of things that would be more effective then cameras. PSYCHOLOGICAL TESTING TO SCREEN OUT UNSUITABLE PEOPLE SUCH AS AGGRESSIVE AND IMMATURE PERSONALITY TYPES. IQ TESTING TO PROHIBIT LOW INTELLIGENCE DRIVER APPLICANTS FROM OBTAINING A CDL. EYE-HAND COORDINATION, AND DEXTERITY TESTS. BETTER PAY, BENIFITS, AND REASONABLE AMOUNTS OF TIME OFF WHEN A DRIVER IS DUE FOR SOME TIME OFF. A PROGRAM SHOULD BE STARTED BY TRUCKING COMPANIES, AND THE FEDERAL AND STATE GOVERNMENTS TO PURCHASE LAND, AND BUILD SAFE AND SECURE PARKING AREAS FOR TRUCK DRIVERS IN AREAS WITH LIMITED AREAS FOR TRUCKS TO PARK. A SPECIAL RETIREMENT SYSTEM AND MEDICAL SYSTEM SHOULD BE SET UP JUST FOR OTR TRUCK. DRIVERS. TRY OUT SOME OF THESE SUGGESTIONS AND YOU WOULD SEE A HUGE REDUCTION IN ACCIDENTS, AN INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY AND EFFICIENCY, AND A REDUCTION IN OPERATING EXPENSES THAT WOULD BENEFIT NOT JUST THE DRIVERS, COMPANIES AND THEIR CUSTOMERS, BUT THE ENTIRE ECONOMY AT LARGE. IMPLEMENTING THESE IDEAS COULD BE ACCOMPLISHED WITHIN 5 YEAR'S, AND SAVE THOUSANDS OF LIVES AND BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ANNUALLY. WE WOULD ALSO ALL BE A LOT SAFER DRIVING IN A TRUCK, BUS OR A CAR.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    The Sensor you're talking about guessing it's called OnGuard ?

What's the problem? Lots of better companies out there.
    Just don't get in a hurry, pick the right company.
    Don't do what everybody else does, go from one Mega to the next and wonder why it still sux.

TequilaSunrise and Dna Mach Thank this.
  4. jldilley

jldilley Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    And kowtow to insurance companies.

Air Breeze Thanks this.
  5. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    to my knowledge almost all of the new trucks are available with the crash avoidance systems. we have new macks and freightliners, both of which use these features. Mack trucks dating back to late '13/early 14 have the same auto braking systems. I chose an assigned truck lacking the distance alert feature. the lane alert is on all of the macks we have exept a few of the old ones.

the way I see it; one can fight it and fail or accept it and succeed. I don't like it any more than the next guy, but it is happening and will not revert.

6. jldilley

jldilley Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    I'm curious as to how many teamster staffed companies are getting away with this crap.

7. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the government is in the process of mandating all these safety features. In short, just like EOBR's your only choices will be to live with it, or get out of trucking.

8. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Had both of those sensors at Palmer. The lane avoidance is mounted on the windshield. Just pop it off and tape over the sensor lens and put it back on. The on guard is alot harder to get rid of though. I will not work for a company that uses them.

9. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Sandstorms would set off the braking system thing sometimes, that was annoying as hell.

10. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    I'm probably gonna flamed for this, but I have on my fire suit.

I'm not a company driver and this is just my opinion.

I find it funny that company drivers are getting so upset about a camera facing the driver. How the company has no right to do that. They have every right to do so. It's no different than working a regular job where you have multiple cameras watching you all the time. The privacy argument doesn't work either. The driver seat is the office. From what I have seen of these cameras, they only see the drivers area anyway. If you are that worried about it, then cover it while you are parked or close the curtains. Nobody (at a truckstop or at the office) wants to see you naked anyway.

The company has invested alot of money in their (not yours) equipment and sometimes in the drivers training. Why shouldn't the company be allowed to protect their equipment and interest?

Don't want a camera facing you, then go buy your own truck. Then you will have a say weather or not you have a camera.

11. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I am looking at a company right now and they have cameras. They are only active when the ignition key is on. The data is stored in the camera on a data card and cannot be monitored live. If your in an accident they take it out and look at it. I was told this by the Operations Manager and he appears to me to be a stand up guy and not in the business with messing with drivers. No on guard or wingman systems on the trucks. Works for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.