I'm going to quit swift

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by USA_forever, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    If Swift was truly interested in Safety they would simply do what other safer fleets are doing to promote safety. Their are plenty of safer fleets that Swift could model themselves after.

Swift however takes a much different approach to Safety than these other fleets; in that, Swift treats their drivers entirely different then the safer fleets do. To Swift, the driver is disposable. That is exactly the opposite of what is required for a safe trucking fleet.

These devices and cameras are not about safety. Although they mask as 'safety tools,' there real reason is to provide just cause for the firing of drivers. By gather this 'safety data', Swift can run their seasonal business, and fire drivers when freight slows down. By using this data base of 'safety violations', they can vary the size of their fleet seasonally, with out incurring the cost of paying unemployment.

Just think about how it makes sense to monitor licensed experienced drivers with unlicensed 'art history' majors through a remote camera. If office staff has the credentials to critique, they need to be beside the wheel and away from the desk.

The safer fleets do not spend money on these frivolous nanny devices, because they hire responsible drivers and keep them on the fleet. These devices are nothing but a tool to dispose of drivers when they are not needed after the seasonal surge.

Friday, Subutai, The Patriot and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    No, doesn't work that way.

If anything the company is in more trouble. Why didn't they pick up on your terrible habits? Why did they let you drive when they should have known you had those habits? Give it time and that is exactly what will lead to the start of 'random spot monitoring' vs. just triggered events.

jinxutoo001 and Toomanybikes Thank this.
  4. Krafty24

Krafty24 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Dixie
    Again, I'd like to hear what in his post you deem unsafe? You only mentioned him eating while driving and the turn signal. Ok. I'll give you the turn signal. As far as the eating goes, you mention how you don't do it in high traffic areas. And he never said he was eating in high traffic areas. He specified nothing. As for the rest of what you said you thought was insafe, I think I pointed out how those things were not unsafe, yet for the most part inevitable and just a part of driving an 18 wheeler.

5. The Patriot

The Patriot Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    About the only thing Swift does have right....

6. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    A professional truck driver who cannot read, write, speak, or comprehend the English language is an extremely serious hazard on our nations roads and highways. He or she would NOT be able to receive instructions or call for help, especially during emergencies or other critical situations that may crop up.

I have been working as a retail clerk for a major retail chain, for 9 years, currently earning $9.97 an hour. Even though it is a very low skill job, I am still required to go through training and testing to keep my job.

For many years I struggled to be able to bring my language and comprehension skills up to a somewhat functioning level, to be able to survive in the workforce, along with life in general.

It is very hard to believe that a professional truck driver, who is working in a dangerous job to begin with, is able to go out onto the road or highway not being able communicate at a functional level.

HOLY MOSES!!

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

7. born&raisedintheusa

Sep 20, 2012
    Who is going to pay for all this?

Also, who is going to monitor all this?

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.

8. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I thought you were a driver?

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  9. born&raisedintheusa

Sep 20, 2012
    For a long time, I was seriously hoping to go to a truck driving school to learn how to become an OTR truck driver. I really wanted to be able to drive OTR to all 48 states and Canada.
    I was, (and still am), trying to lose more weight and become all around healthier. I was also working very hard to both clean up my employment history and MVR record.
    This is why I was staying for a long time at my retail clerk's job, to (HOPEFULLY) get an uninterrupted 10 year work history, due to a shaky work history from my past.

In the mean time, as shown below, I seriously flunked a D.O.T. physical. Currently, I cannot even get a learners permit or get into a truck driving school, never mind being able to actually go out onto the road and drive.

I am trying to find a way to overcome the health "situations" that are currently preventing me from going into a truck driving school and job.

In the mean time, for all other individuals wishing to go into truck driving, whether it is OTR, regional, or local, I TRULY and GENUINELY wish them the best of luck!

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

December 19, 2015

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    HalpinUout Thanks this.
  10. The Patriot

The Patriot Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    How do you flunk the physical? Didn't anyone tell you to check 'no' in all the blocks?

11. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    lol!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.