I'm going with Maverick: newbie trainee blog

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by ybfjax, Feb 14, 2008.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I think it was the union incident!! lol trucking companies don't take kindly to union talk

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ybfjax

ybfjax Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2007
    GA
    You know, that did cross my mind when I was in my room thinking the whole thing over. But they got rid of another guy the same day, too for the same road test failure. So I ruled out the 'union' incident. But I guess things happen for a reason. BTC doesn't seem to be so bad.

4. seansolo

seansolo Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Cambridge, Ohio
    I would at least like to know what I did wrong, specifically. If you are going to fire me, or not hire me, for something then tell me what it is. If I've got a lead foot, or take right turns too wide, or hold the steering wheel at 9-3 and not 10-2 I want to know what failed me.

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    He said he failed because he took a ramp to fast on the road test.

6. seansolo

Jan 29, 2008
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Okay, I thought it said he thought that's what it was but he was never actually told what it was.

On the one hand that seems nit-picky, but as a newspaper photographer who has photographed steel coils leaving gouges on the road and trucks overturned on ramps (the 70-77 interchange here is notorious for that) I can see why. But I agree there should be some sort of second chance thing before they release you. He demonstrated he can drive and not run over anything or hit anybody and he had very little seat time.

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    The thing is though they want people who pay attention and listen and follow directions. They tell you in orientation what you need to do to pass all the test. Including what speed to exit ramps on the road test.:biggrin_25525:

8. seansolo

Jan 29, 2008
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Disappeared for a while, got sleepy so I got some shut eye then the wife came home from work and it was time to make and have dinner.

So anyways, yeah I understand they would have been given specific instructions and he messed up and went more than 10 under on the ramp.

Somewhat related question, I have always been told that the yellow signs on US roads indicating speeds on ramps, hills, and curves, are for commercial trucks, as the speeds are a lot slower than most four wheelers can safely handle, true?

9. ybfjax

ybfjax Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2007
    GA
    That was it. That is what it boiled down to. I was a day away. If you chose maverick, you will do fine.

Driving with my trainer and by myself now I would say that 4 wheelers can handle speeds much faster than the recommended (yellow) speed limits. Now I always enter the curve/ on/off-ramp at or 5 mph below the speed limit. That 10mph below thing is a bit excessive, but it was probably for training purposes only.

You'll realize that what they tell you in orientation and what you do once you are with your trainer are 2 different things. Then what you do with your trainer and what you do in your own truck are 2 different things.

But one thing that I'm glad my BTC trainer taught me was low rpms and progressive shifting. This does help with the MPG. Floating gears (no clutch) also does actually improve the mpg and is less stressful.

I was riding down from Memphis to Birmingham with another recent student (had his truck for 1 month) and his trainer told him to rev it up high all the time. We get low-tops so he is still able to get 6.0-6.2 mpg. But he may miss his quarterly bonus (fuel portion). He was grinding those gears like crazy. I kept saying to myself "poor gear box". :biggrin_25513:. I've already gotten up to 6.8 with only 230 miles on truck. And I was driving around a lot trying to find a shipper and then again trying to find a place to drop my trailer. So it dropped down to 6.6. I have copilot truck 11 for laptop. We'll see what happens now, LOL.

10. stuge

stuge Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Georgetown TN
    Ybfjax, keep us posted on how the CoPilot 11 works for ya. I have been looking into either the copilot or a stand alone gps for some time now. When you get your own mav rig how bout posting some inside pictures, im curious if I (all 6 ft of me) could stand up straight in the sleeper or not. you know it is the little things that make all the difference.

Thanks.

11. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    If you get to Amarillo there is a guy around the TA, named iceman or something liek that. He fixes laptops and stuf for guys. He will load co pilot on your laptop for $30 then you just need to buy an antenna to plug in your usb port

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.