Im moveing into a volvo

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by craig_sez, May 30, 2023.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Hey folks....

Well seems im moveing into a volvo tomorrow,its not new but new to me...My plascadia is gettin put on a run that preferrs the fl due to availability of service centers for fl....

Anyways its o ly gonna be a cpl yrs old and my question is...
    Who has done some bonding,coax routeing and power supply routeing for my stryker,hopeing someone can save me some time to get what i need....
    Guess my 102 and my 7ft skip shooters are gonna be to long so ill have to get shorter skip shooters while im at it..

Feel free to pass on any tips that are related to my questions if you have any...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    As far as bonding I think you'll find the Volvo to be much easier to deal with than the Cascadia. Volvos are made of steel and the cab/sleeper body panels are welded together unlike the Cascadia being aluminum and "glued" together. I basically mounted my antenna and got good readings on the analyzer without any ground straps, unlike the Cascadia! I have my antenna mounted on the back of the sleeper on a bird perch mount from Bob's CB. Top Gun Technologies (Z-PERCH) - Ultra Mount with Heavy Duty Bird Perch, For SOME Volvo's / Freightliner Cascadia's / Kenworth T2000's / & Peterbilt 579's, ALL STAINLESS STEEL, Mobile Antenna Mounts Mounts using the factory bolts for the hook up light and the top bar for the trailer lines. 20220904_160319.jpg Alas this probably won't be ideal for you as, last I knew, you were pulling a dry van/reefer. That mount can work on the rearward mirror bracket, but will take a little fiddling to make it sturdy. Either mounting point will limit you to a 5 foot Skipshooter. Mine will hit a 13'5" bridge. The other alternative is the standard bird perch mount. They do tend to be a little on the thin side so finding a mount that will tighten up right can be tricky.
    My truck has a built in fridge and a factory inverter and noise isn't too much of a problem versus the previous trucks with an aftermarket inverter and cheapo dorm fridge. I haven't delved into power routing yet. Just running off the factory posts on the dash and have had no problems so far.
    Their is another guy out there with the handle "fourstringburn" on some forums that has mounted some antennas on Volvos including a screwdriver antenna for ham use.
    Good luck with your new ride! Learn to ride with the windows shut because they are way noisier than a Cascadia with the windows open!

JD

Attached Files:

Tadakatsu Thanks this.
  4. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Its a used one cause im no longer long haul,not done long haul sence covid started so i dont get a new one..
    Took me outta my fl to put it on a run that only has a fl service on that route..Seeing i pass by them all i got the luck of gettin a rough riden somewhat neglected volvo...Hit one bump and thought base of my spine was gonna go out through my butt and the top part out the back of my neck.....I was told its all good to go,ppffftttt....Gotta go back to shop tomorrow to service my other trailer so me and the shop will be haveing a discussion.....
    This thing has a almost constant shake,feels like its the rear the drivers mirror shakes like your makeing a movie during a cat 8 earthquack,lol get a lil dizzy looking at it ffs....Its got about 40,000 more miles on it than mine had....
    Between the move from one trk to this one and the drive home,my back is GONE!!

5. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Sounds like it needs shocks. Bad cab shocks will make it ride like poop.

JD

6. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Yup..Bottomed out on me hard..
    Pretty sure ill not be puttin my stryker or stereo in this "cough cough" truck..

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Could also be airbags and/or leveling valve. Replacing both of them is not much money and should be done if the truck is older than 5 years, especially on a volvo because the cab is heavy.

8. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Its in the shop now,one of the guys came out shook the truck and asked how hard it hit the bump...I said hard enought that my spine felt like it came out by my butt and other end at the top of my neck...Wasnt as bad with a trl on(empty)..Thats companys way of sayin they are fine...I didnt measure but i think im an inch shorter..
    Thats the worst thing about moveing into someone else truck,not hard to tell they didnt do #### to let shop know of issues..Now im wasteing my day messin with it...
    Makes me giggle that i was told "Its good to go" oh ant today they decided to put some tires on the rear to....
    If i didnt spend the $ on my house a cpl months ago i woulda taken a month long vaca...

9. GGALLIN1776

GGALLIN1776 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2023
    I was talking to a lady that for some reason had three 102" antennas on a newer (2019-20) volvo.
    Two where angled forward off of the mirrors at roughly 30-40° (looked odd but no mishaps/overpass slaps) & one in the rear was mounted horizontally.

While I understood the duals, didn't get the point of the horizontal mount between the sleeper & trailer given the amount of steel blocking it in.

10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    People have done the antenna on the back pulling a van trailer and said it works good..Tried to tell me it gets all across the usa,with skip.....Ok i say,not big deal....How about trk to trk...They reply 15-30 miles....Then they add to their bragging that they also have 500+ watts helping....lol...
    I have replied and they get mad but i would say,"How bout that same range barefoot but moveing antenna away from back of the cab"..Now they are silent..lol

11. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I mounted mine here on my old 610. It needs bonding. Figured being a 98 and metal it would have been better. It's under 2:1 in the middle of the band, but I need to do some bonding. The readings with the Rig Expert weren't too good. I'll get to it sooner or later. I think that is a 5' SkipShooter on it. I've got a 4ft and don't remember which one I put on it.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.