I'm new here

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HaulingHorseman, Nov 16, 2022.

1. HaulingHorseman

HaulingHorseman Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2022
    I am grateful for all the info, suggestions and warning being given. Now I can't help but be curious and ask...what IS the ideal equipment setup (meaning truck specs) if I wanna stay with using a pickup truck? I won't be getting into the field till probably April'ish next year.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Others might have their personal choices for various reasons but any pickup if used will not last and if new will be tore up before paid for
    Even if you paid $100k cash. You won’t get that back
    Or at least it would be hard
    If wanting to stay small like that I’d look at like an FL70 type heavier truck that has a sleeper and still fairly low maintenance

By April you might have a ton more info and a better grip on how the economy looks

4. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    It really depends if you have cdl or not. My brother in law who doesn’t have a cdl recently purchased a dodge 2500 diesel with a Cummings engine and a gator trailer ( pj trailers are better because they are lighter weight but much more expensive) but I think his max load he can haul is 8,000 lbs. my husband uncle just bought a ram 3500, he is a cdl holder, with diesel and Cummings engine with a gator trailer and he can haul 15,000 lbs. if they would not of got such a heavy trailer they could haul more weight but the gator trailers weigh more. They both got a 35+5 so it’s 35 deck space and 5 ramps.

In all seriousness you do not want to use your gas f250 you will absolutely burn in up with a couple of hauls.

5. pumpkinishere

Apr 21, 2021
    Uncle is going to start running after the 19 th of this month brother in law has been running about 2 months. Hot shot rates are really decent right now. Brother in law has been getting 2.00 a mile plus some and he does not have near the expenses we as semi drivers do so he is actually doing really well.

6. HaulingHorseman

Nov 15, 2022
    I'm starting to think that maybe there was a miscommunication in what I'm wanting to do here. I'm talking about hauling "general" cargo or less than loads with my truck. Probably between the 800lb to 15,000lb range. Obviously I'm not a genius when it comes to trucks and their towing capacity but when I see older trucks than mine frequently hauling boats, cars, ATV's yet I'm being told on here that 1 or 2 hauls will burn my engine up...can you understand my confusion?

pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  7. GYPSY65

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Hauling the boat to the lake is one thing
    Running it Dailey for work is another and if the ones you see are doing that with a truck like yours and making $$ while having no issues then those are the people who you need to track down and ask what their secret is

The advice I think you’ve received is from those that have done it or seen it done wrong

You can drag a trailer with a minivan and make money or use a wrench to pound a nail into a board but neither of those two items are meant to do the job for. Very long time without some catastrophic results

8. HaulingHorseman

Nov 15, 2022
    Ok, I see what you did there. Thanks for the clarity honestly

pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  9. GYPSY65

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I don’t think anyone is trying to dissuade you but rather trying to point you in a direction that makes the most sense

You have time. Keep doing your research and take whatever advice makes sense and in the end it’s ultimately going to be your decision

Good or bad it’ll be up to you
    I also think a lot of guys who go horribly broke or absolutely hate this business are the ones who either did it wrong or didn’t do their research and ask questions

Lite bug, pumpkinishere and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  10. pumpkinishere

Apr 21, 2021
    Does anyone recommendany insurance companies who offer an affordable BOC-3?

11. pumpkinishere

Apr 21, 2021
    OOIDA cost I think 45 a year and they will help you with box 3 and all kinds of things

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.