I'm Really Backed Into A Corner Here...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Soundgarden, Oct 26, 2011.

1. reptij

reptij Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    lol Ok so instead of him taking a pill for stress he should walk around with electrical sensors on? I wonder how a potential employer would react to that!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Yeah, but that will look so cute with his tinfoil hat. . .:biggrin_2559:

4. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Ok?, assuming he is not a troll, anyone on depression meds, shouldnt be driving a 80,000 ib vehicle, sorry If I offended anyone, but there are to many dangerous drivers out there already, dont need anymore

5. Ex-Con-Trucker

Ex-Con-Trucker Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    You sound really confident that it will be found. Please enlighten me on how you know that it will show up.

DOT drug tests don't test for psychotropic drugs. They test for THC, meth, cocaine, opiates, barbiturates, and so on. If he tells the truth, he should do so because it's the right thing to do.

Big Don and 123456 Thank this.
  6. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    There's several ways it can show up, and not necessarily by a test. I have a nephew that takes an anti-anxiety medication. Not sure exactly which one, something like Alprazolam, (Xanax). He was a truck driver, until he messed up, (that's a whole book in itself, and not related to this). DOT, cops will question you if they come across RX bottles. If their not sure, they sure could place a call to your company to confirm that they're aware of it. My nephew got slammed on a short trip, because he didn't want to take his whole bottle of pills with him, so he took enough in an unlabled bottle (yes that's wrong too). The DOT called his company to see if they knew anything about their driver taking pills. So how's this relate? If the OP decided to try and keep it from his company, all it would take is something like that, and the cat's out the bag, the company fires him for false info on an application.

Now if also read the rest of my post, my main concern was that the medication the OP stated he is taking, is listed as one that is prescribed to treat epilepsy. That is going to throw big huge red flags in the trucking industry.

7. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    it also plays out like this, you plan on being out for 11 days, your company can't get you home, then you have a breakdown, next thing you know it's day 23 and wow I really need to get home to get more meds. You let your dispatcher know that you are out meds, they ask what you're taking them for and you say that it's not just anit-depressants. That gets them thinking they ask to see your file, there are no medications listed on it. Things spiral out of control from there and you end up looking for a new job because if you failed to list that, what else have you failed to mention?

8. Ex-Con-Trucker

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    I hear what you're saying, but what you said at the beginning of the thread was really simple, yet wrong.

"They must do the drug tests, and yes it will show up."

Lamictal will not show up in a DOT, or company drug test. Lamictal isn't a barbiturate, and doesn't contain codeine, cocaine, THC, or any other drug abused by addicts, because it doesn't get you, "high". If he said he were taking xanax, then yes, it would show up because it is a barbiturate ( a drug used by some to get "high").

I'm not trying to single you out, but I see a lot of wrong info around here stated as facts, when really, the "facts" are wrong.

Again, I'm not saying he should hide anything. If he tells the company, he should do so because it's the right thing to do, not because of misconstrued opinions.

9. Ex-Con-Trucker

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    It's really simple. Call your doctor and ask if you can arrange to have your monthly, or whenever appointment by phone. When he says yes, then have the script called into your home pharmacy. When you're home, pick up your medication. If you run out, have it transferred to a Wal-Mart within your route. The only way a medication cannot be transferred is if its a controlled substance. Lamictal isn't a controlled substance by any means.

Again, why would he need to drive home, or need to take home-time to pick up medication? :biggrin_25518:

10. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm not saying he would, just that most do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.