Importing US truck

Discussion in 'European/Other Countries Truckers Forum' started by txviking, Apr 21, 2010.

1. txviking

txviking <strong>Trucker Geek</strong>

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida
    I have a 1997 Peterbilt, currently sitting in the US, and I just moved back to Europe (Norway). I'm finding out that while importing the truck is relatively straightforward (pay VAT, basically), registering it is not. Norway wants me to meet safety standards as they are NOW, and they won't accept a USDOT inspection as equivalent. One of the requirements was retrofitting ABS brakes.

Has anyone imported a truck to an EU or EEA country in the past few years? Would love to hear about your experiences.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pyrosparks911

pyrosparks911 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Charlotte,NC
  4. diesel Jim

diesel Jim Bobtail Member

May 16, 2010
    coventry uk
    sorry txviking but you will find that not only doe the brakes not come up to speck, but that you will have to increase the ait resevoirs as well. However a short cut is that you will find that the handbrake, tanks, and eqallising blocks from the old Daf 2500 seris will fit or you will get the spares from Paccar

5. nicka scania

nicka scania Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Orlando/Florida
    If you read a Megazine called Fernfahrer,turn the pages to the adds and you will find places were they import U.S. trucks and they can modify the U.S truck to fit into EU standarts.I to be more precise I have seen those truchs in Germany.

6. txviking

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida
    Thanks; Norway has informed me that even registration in another EU country is not "good enough" for them.

I've pretty much given up on bringing the truck over. :(

7. nicka scania

Oct 14, 2010
    Orlando/Florida

Sorry to here that,I had the some problem when I wantd to bring my Scania to the U.S.A. MVD just won't let me! Can you believe it,I travel as much as 3 times just to see my Scania.I just can wait for my contract to expire so I will be forever with my Scania. :Liner:

8. nicka scania

Oct 14, 2010
    Orlando/Florida
    Txviking,my friend got a prototype of the Pete 379 but this is a difenrent color,I hope you like it and this won't give you trouble to bring in to Norway.

picsforweb 024.jpg

picsforweb 025.jpg

9. txviking

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida
    I think I'll end up just moving back to the US again anyway. The great irony is that when I moved back to Norway because the US economy was doing less than stellar, I ended up landing a great job...at an American company. So I'm going to see about working for one of their US locations.

10. Kentaor

Kentaor Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2012
    How is things working out for you? I know kenworth in france upgrades the brakes and makes papers. But it will cost you about 100.000kr. Or trade yours in for a classic 359 pre 82 :)

11. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    1997 may be certified in EU like Euro-2

But you have to change lamps, add 12-24V converter for EU trailer EBS and u cant use it with long trailers in some European countries. So to drive it to Poland for example you need 40' trailer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.