IMT Transport Garner,Ia

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Lug379, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Lug379

Lug379 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I’m posting my experience here to help others that are thinking of working for IMT. I’m by no means bashing them but simply giving my experience. They got me a rental and I drove to the hotel in clear lake and got there Sunday. The hotel is just simply that. It’s a place to sleep. Super 8 in clear lake,Ia. I will say here that you need to bring money for food as they do not pay for it while you are there. They’ll give you money but it comes out of your advance. The hotel does have a breakfast but it’s old cereal and 1% milk and maybe some bagels if they bought some. There’s plenty of places to eat around there but if you’re banking on saving money by eating at the hotel for breakfast I advise you bring some food with you as you will be very disappointed as I was. First day of orientation is mainly the start of paper work as you will be doing it all week off and on and you also do your range of motion test . Somewhere in orientation you’ll meet Jeremy and pick out a truck. They’re steadily putting apus on trucks as they do not like idling which I get. All trucks have a fridge, inverter and a bunk heater. Trucks run 70 and after awhile as long as you’re good they’ll turn it up to 75. Do not get a black 389 as they are wwweeeeaaaakkk and will embarrass you. Orientation really needs to be fixed as it’s not very well organized. You’re gonna be securing other peoples loads pretty much all week and it’ll absolutely make you question your decision. I get them wanting to make sure you know how to secure the stuff but at the same time they also have people there that this is their whole job. Honestly 1 day of going over it would be sufficient. The guy over orientation does a great job of explaining everything and going over everything he can but as I said the orientation should honestly be over by Thursday if not Wednesday. They mainly use Ta-Petro and loves but you can get 100 gallons somewhere else if you absolutely have to. The trucks are pretty well taken care of but they aren’t all new so keep that in mind when stuff breaks. The maintenance department is decent at Garner but Des Moines and orrstown are by far the best. All the office people I dealt with were great and I have no complaints there at all. My only complaint with Imt is just their pay. They only pay .50 cents per mile and that’s just way too low for how expensive things are now. There are some extra pays you can get but it’s not a guarantee you’re gonna get them every week and we all know how trucking is. The weeks I could get 3000-3500 miles a week were great but some weeks you’re gonna do good to get 2500. That’s just how it is with open deck. The orientation pay also needs to be higher as it’s only $500 and you’re gonna do A LOT of working during those 5 days. There is no set time of when you’re gonna leave for the day because they make use of you being there to secure loads for other drivers. It would also be a big help if they’d pay for your food since everyone is dealing with different economic situations when they start new jobs. Most companies now do pay for that. This place has a very good chance to be the best trucking job there is and I loved the job and people I worked with there but, there’s also a lot that could be changed to make it better. I truly hope that they at least raise the pay or they’re gonna have a hard time keeping good drivers. Nice trucks are great but nice paychecks are even better.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I was all set to start work with them after Christmas.
    The .50 a mile starting pay and an elog were the deal breaker. I just don't see how you are going to make any real money at that rate on an elog.
    I ended up going back to car hauling where the money is way better.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Yeah but their trucks are cool.

5. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Got a local place like that. They pay percentage. All long-nosed stuff. I’ve been told, $1000/wk is what most drivers clear. But, they get to drive a fancy truck.

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    In the days of social media and trying to get followers you can’t put a price on getting to drive a cool truck.

I’m saying this while having zero knowledge of what the company drivers get paid where I’m leased on. Lol. Guess maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.

ducnut and Tall Mike Thank this.
  7. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    If I remember correctly the top of the pay scale is .65 per mile. No idea how long it takes to reach that point.

8. PR/GFS/MB Lifer

PR/GFS/MB Lifer Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Do they have the tall shifters in them too?

ducnut Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.