In a bind what should i do

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ao2005, Nov 13, 2009.

1. ao2005

ao2005 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Beaverton, MI
    well that school i was looking at was TDDS and they have the FASFA link right on there site. Its all a matter of if the school offers it or not. Im still looking at every option but my options are getting smaller and smaller. Every company i talked to that offers training told me im to young or out of the hiring area so i looked at schools and they get me approved but only for a 6,500 loan with 15% interest and i have to pay for a hotel room. If i wait the 2-3 months for the WIA funds to get back in here in MI i will be going to swifts school by then.

Thanks for the input so far guys/gals.

Thanks,
    Alan

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    The Hope Grant in GA will pay for school if it's through a college. There are 2 in my area that have 10 week CDL programs.

4. rubbergearsnextyear

rubbergearsnextyear Heavy Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    Swift over England any day of the week! If you only need one reason, reefers! Reefer loads are most always heavy as hell. A great deal of your loads will be by appointment only and you will mostly be dealing with grocery dc's!

With Swift, you won't have to deal with that too often. Most of their trips have delivery windows and sometimes you pull heavy and sometimes you pull light. Unless you run dedicated, you likely won't pull many reefers with Swift.

Maybe the only good thing about reefers, I've heard a lot of reefer yankers say, they tend to get longer trips. Swift was pretty good when I was with them up until several months back when they started #####in about idling. Miles are down across the board for the majority of big companies out there with not much sign of getting better any time soon, but at least you'll be getting some experience.

I haven't met a happy England driver (but I think most of em were lease ops). Come to think of it, I've never met many happy Werner drivers either.

ao2005 Thanks this.
  5. ao2005

ao2005 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Beaverton, MI
    i was looking at a school out of ohio called TDDS Technical Institute they take the pell grant.
    I would go with Swift if they would take me but im 3 months to young got to be 23 now so i might have to wait if i cant get my pell grant.

6. rubbergearsnextyear

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    Probably best anyways freight sucks right now. Maybe it'll get better next year.

7. ao2005

ao2005 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Beaverton, MI
    that is probly true but i wanted to get in right now even if it was slow so i can get my foot in the door any job that i can i make over 20k per yr is better than nothing.

8. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    *ponders giving my advice*

oh well what the heck.

I work for Swift, I team with my husband. It's true they've changed the requirement to 23. However, count out the months and see where that will put you. Three months for your birthday, 3 weeks of school, 6 weeks of mentoring. That'll be the minimum and it'll place you solo around the first of May when freight has picked back up from the winter. That's a good time.

That's just a thought on my part. It isn't just the schooling you're looking for.....it's a job. What I keep seeing is people being advised to go to the private schools and then there is no job when they finish. JMHO

9. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Good advice Nana.

I think I've said it before. You have to find the job first then get the training that fits the job. If the only company that will hire wants you to go to their school then going to a different school is just a waste of time and money. Get pre-hired then seek out trainnig that fits their requirement.

Texas-Nana Thanks this.
  10. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    As evil as we all make the mills out to be they still have their place. People have to experience somewhere.

11. rubbergearsnextyear

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    Swift hires drivers from other schools. They reimburse tuition as well $150 a month.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.