In a bind what should i do

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ao2005, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Gypsy

Gypsy Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Adairsville,Ga
    I don't know how they take a pell grant. Pell doesn't issue grants to technical schools. Been there,tried that. I went to school in Georgia and Hope scholarship paid for all but 400 of it and even that I didn't have to pay all at once. For that I am very thankful. I start orientation Dec. 15th in Decatur, Ga. And it true Swift only takes ex amount of student drivers a month now so they don't spread their miles to thin.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    All I know is our prezzydent paid for my school. We have in TN a seperate job training funding. It is not state run from what I can figure. They call it "Work Force Essentials Inc." They are in the same office as the unemployment people.

Some students that don't qualify like I did can apply for $600 or so of the price to be rebated from the lotto fund. I get $7.75 a day for gas on a 74 mile round trip also.

There is residency requirements, I am not sure what they are.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  4. ao2005

ao2005 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Beaverton, MI
    ok thanks for the info so far still trying but my allison transmission is blew up so now i got to fine the 4k to rebuild it. #### my luck

5. david07003

david07003 Light Load Member

I recommend that you study for your permit and take the written. It took me a while to get the CDL test under my belt because I wanted all of the endorsements including school bus. Today I passed all of it. I used an online company with sample questions to make sure that I passed it. My goal is to find a construction company that will trade my labor for some truck time. If not, I found a company that teaches Mexicans / Spanish speakers how to drive. Ten hours, which is required, will cost me $1050. There is no way that I am going to one of those 5 week schools that cost a small fortune for what I can self study at.

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I'm glad you got our prezzydent to pay for yours . I'm tired of my tax dollars being thrown away paying CDL mills to train people with felony records and poor MVR's that will never get jobs .

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    CDL mill training is not considered experience and SOME people need to be trained but not 10 times the number of people there are job openings for .

8. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Some schools send X amount of students a year to the company that supports them. This is a plus if you don't know your butt from a hole in the ground about trucks.

Werner supplies a tractor or two for one school near me. PAM and USATruck hire from Driver Solutions.

Some companies hire/train there own. Stevens will start you on any Monday for school. You will run 21-28 days at a time if you work there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.