In a nutshell...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by JayRod, Feb 15, 2015.

1. JayRod

JayRod Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum as well as the industry. So I'm here to pretty much get any and all advice I can get starting my new career as a trucker. Let me start off by saying I'm still in trucking school, and hopefully be out and have my license within the month. I just had a couple quick questions and/or concerns about what I am embarking on here.

My decision to be a trucker was a quick one, although it had been at the back of my mind for quite some time, but I made the sad mistake of smoking some weed on NYE (About a month and a half ago). As I'm sure most of you will tell me, I know it was a stupid mistake, but it was one I made before I made the decision to be a trucker. I guess you can say my biggest worries are, who will hire me? and where will I start? I hear so many horror stories about the hair follicle test, and people ruining their career over a positive test, before they even start on it. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? My plans after trucking school were to start with either Werner, Swift or Schneider. And although I've heard both good and bad stories about all three companies... I'm convinced Werner will probably be my best bet. After all, rookies all have to start somewhere right? I can't afford to be picky. I have all my endorsements already (waiting for HazMat to clear with background) but I fear this stupid mistake may cost me all the hard work I've done trying to get my life back on track.

Help?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hawkofnight

Hawkofnight Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Welcome to the industry! While I may not agree with your choice of doing drugs, take the opportunity to learn from your "mistake" that our choices can affect our outcomes of our lives. Take the time and care to be a professional driver, not a steering wheel holder. Learn to pack lightly and efficient when you have your own truck. Don't be afraid to ask questions because NOONE knew it all to start with. Most people here seem to be informative, but on the roads they act like you should know about everything before you start. But alot of the professional and courteous guys rather tell ya how to do it properly instead of you risking your life or lives of others on the road. Don't be afraid to start with a ssmaller company that treats you like family and will set you up for success rather than treating you like a #.

Robert. ..Butler transport truck 3369

JayRod Thanks this.
  4. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    I didn't know you could get all your endorsements before you get your license.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Put your location on your profile.
    Some companies just do the pee test.
    Some companies you won't have to take a physical; just use the medical card you're using now.

Paschall Truck Lines

Clyde07 - yes, can get all the endorsements with the CDL Permit.

JayRod and Clyde07 Thank this.
  6. JayRod

JayRod Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    So you're saying start smaller, but I was under the impression companies like these were great to start with. I assume that isn't the case?

7. JayRod

JayRod Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you for clearing that up for me lol. Some people still don't believe that's possible.
    Anyhow, would you happen to know anything about Werner and their method of testing?

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't know about Werner; most mega-carriers don't do hair follicle unless they have hazmat/tanker division. Pride Transport does hair follicle.

Try, Youngs Transportation in Fresno. It's a 1099 outfit so highly unlikely they do hair follicle. I think they do lots of runs to Florida and back to CA.

Martin Enterprises of the Carolinas is another 1099 outfit also.

Try a company like these for 3 - 6 months then you should be ok to move on.

9. JayRod

JayRod Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    So as I read on I'm starting to think maybe Werner isn't as good as I thought lol. I'm in Los Angeles, so both those companies are a little far for me. Any other recommended companies to start with?

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tons of good companies hire out of LA, but not sure if hair follicle or not; most companies don't because it's expensive. Probably all hazmat/tanker companies do. Doesn't matter where a company is based/headquartered because home time is determined by company policy, not where the terminals or headquarters are.

KKW Trucking - Pomona
    Freymiller
    National Carriers
    TWT Refrigerated Service
    Super Service
    System Transport
    Midwest-coast Transport
    JBS Carriers
    Gardner Trucking
    Northern Refrigerated Transportation
    Watkins-Shepard
    Decker Truck Line
    Navajo Express-terminal in Chino
    Southern Refrigerated Transport

Western Express - hires felons
    Carolina Cargo - hires felons
    Martin Enterprises of the Carolinas - hires felons

All these companies hire new CDL graduates.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    losangelesbased and bigtruckin89 Thank this.
  11. mpow66m

mpow66m Heavy Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    go local if you can get a foot in the door.

losangelesbased Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.