In a real pinch. Help.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Oldironfan, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I was driving a little bit ago. Then my dash went dead, cig lighter dead, and and light came on. Than came back to normal except and light. Drove a bit more than parked turned of truck now very slow or no crank. Also I smelled a hot wire when parking but can not find it? Alternated was showing 14 volts running. Batteries show 12.5 volts but paper slow crank over. Starter grounds look ok. I wonder if battery ground rubbed on frame but not wanting to look at this moment. Or perhaps the Phillips outlet at back of Truck? I'm not sure what other it could be but grounds? I just noticed also oil from compressor is leaking on the ecm. This is a columbia glider with Ddec 4 12.7. I personally think the engine is worth more than this Fitzgerald glider.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    What year truck are you driving? CK all batt conn by louse them cleaning them and tighten back, then ck all Neg. where they are tighten to frame if it wont start after cleaning batt, you must leave neg wires off batt when you retighten starter wires ,and neg wires

SAR and Oldironfan Thank this.
  4. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    2013 glider.

5. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Battery harness seems all good. No rub.
    Just not much power to the starter it seems. Chug chug and then I stop cranking. Maybe battery short? They are not even a year old? And why would the dash lose power? And cigarette lighter go dead?

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You have an almost dead to ground fault someplace.
    Take it to a shop before you REALLY damage the computer or worse.

SAR Thanks this.
  7. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    I can't move. I don't think it's alternator. I turned off truck to see if it would start back up, but real slow starter. So guess I'll wait till morning. I don't want the owner to pay night repair rate.

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Don't take a chance on frying the ECM. Just let wrench track it down. Sounds like harness smoked someplace.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    You're getting good advice here. Definitely a short somewhere. Could be one of the batteries shorted inside, or could be a wire. Daylight will make it easier to find.

Oldironfan and SAR Thank this.
  10. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Thanks. Going to get a hired wrench in morning well a few hours from now.

SAR Thanks this.
  11. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    I am going to guess you have a bad ground wire or loose cable somewhere. Hopefully nothing got messed up too bad. Keep us posted on what you find.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.