In over my head... Help?

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by xkenneyx, Apr 18, 2013.

1. xkenneyx

xkenneyx Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Hello, friends. I am as new to trucking as can be and just got contacted by Central (Recruiter Megan Bennet) to see if I wanted to get started. I have been reading EVERYTHING I can regarding them and although I see more good than bad... The bad is REALLY bad.

I am not expecting to go in and make a million dollars or anything like that and like most jobs, I am ready to "pay my dues" but am still skeptical on how easy it is just to get an open invitation to attend a training class. After doing some research, I am finding that this is a common practice with trucking companies, I am just terrified of being burned as I do need a job and have a car payment and such. I used to play in a touring band so being out on the road is not an issue... again, just feeling a little overwhelmed and I do not know anybody who does trucking so I have no real honest resource.

So can somebody please explain how paying for gas works? I am reading that you have a gas card, but I also see a surcharge or something like that that comes out of your check...?

What extra equipment or money will I be investing that the recruiter is not telling me about might I need? I've read something about padlocks... are these just normal padlocks or special ones? If they are special ones, how much might those run me?

May be a silly question, but are tattoos okay? I don't have anything offensive, but I am pretty heavily covered up.

I am hearing horror stories about bunks and housing and such during the initial training. I will be in the Fontana location if I accept the invitation which no thread that I've read on here so far has mentioned. Any insight?

As far as home time, I am seeing that it is essentially one day per seven days which is okay with me, but if you are not being routed home, what kind of power does the driver have to request to be routed back that way?

If you need a day off or are just too sick to drive how lenient are they on this? For example, this coming June I will be in a friend's wedding and would really hate to not be able to make it. Also, I am getting married next year and would REALLY like to be there for that. Haha!

If I fail a test do I get another shot or am I just out of luck?

I can't think of any more questions, but if I do I will definitely post them and any feedback, positive or negative, would be incredibly appreciated. Travel safe and take care.

-Kenney

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't panic! Don't over think the situation!
    Right now, just buy some work gloves. I usually get a package of gloves at Home Depot, Lowes or places like that. You don't pay for fuel, etc. the trucking company does. Central Refrigerated is a good company. You can also get good training at Prime Inc. with a choice of refrigerated, flatbed or tanker plus they pay you $600.00 a week while riding with a trainer. Both companies would be OK.

pattyj, xkenneyx and Corporal_Clegg Thank this.
  4. fmfexpress

fmfexpress Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I worked at Central for 4 yrs..not a bad company to begin with..the training is good but just stay as a company driver don't do the lease program...do your year and get some exp. under your belt

Lady K and xkenneyx Thank this.
  5. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    X where is home ? How long would you like to be out? If pos get your school on your own. Going through a company school is cheaper up front. But if the company is not a fit , or not on the level, the year commitment can be very hard. Some ( not all) know you are committed to them and abuse new drivers.
    Community colleges , can be a value . Then train with a company , with out a contract. Not all companies are the same. This can be a great job, if at the company that fits.

xkenneyx Thanks this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    don't worry about gas. has nothing to do with you.

i'd wait till AFTER your friends wedding. hometime on dates you request doesn't happen all that often.

7. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Oh forgot. Fuel surcharge is added to an owner op, to help off set high fuel prices. It's not taken out of your check. DO NOT lease a truck till you have driven say two years ! No matter how great it sounds! This will give you time to learn how things work, then make the choice that fits you. But that learning curve with a truck payment can crush some one!

8. TULY007

TULY007 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2013
    USA
    If u talking about Central Refrigerated Service,west valley city,ut...they are beeing sued by the drivers that went into lease program with COMPANY....as per last LANDLINE MAG....OOIDA magazine

9. I50

I50 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Dick Simon was bought out by Central Refrigerated so I hope they are being managed a lot better.
    Dick was a great guy according to my father but his sons rode that company into the ground when I was driving for them.
    The only time I got home time was when I quit.
    Be a company driver first for a couple years to see if you are ready for a driving career and decide if you can handle the extra burden of being an owner operator later.
    You should research more than I did if you want a good position in the trucking industry. I researched other interests not related to trucking but I don't really regret it in the long run.
    Remember, YOU are responsible for driving safely and legally.
    You get caught doing otherwise and your company will throw you to the dogs even if they promise you otherwise or encourage you otherwise.
    That means taking downtime when sick when YOU need to and sleeping when you NEED to. It is your responsibility to plan ahead and keep those instances to a minimum.

dedwarmo Thanks this.
  10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Dick Simon was bought out by Swift and then Jerry changed the name to Central Refrigerated. I think his daughter runs it now.

Wickedfire77 Thanks this.
  11. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Feedback... Hubby and I are still with Central after two years... Not all has been fun, but not all bad either... Plus the view from my office is AWESOME!!

Arkansas Frost and xkenneyx Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.