In over my head... Help?

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by xkenneyx, Apr 18, 2013.

1. xkenneyx

xkenneyx Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2013
    First and foremost, thank you ALL for your feedback. This is an outstanding community on this board and I definitely hope to see some of that on the road.

After discussing with my family and fiance and looking into a few different companies it looks like I will be calling Central back tomorrow morning and get the ball rolling on this. I'm so nervous and stoked but am definitely up to the challenge. Worst case scenario is that I lose a year of life, $1500 and gain a year's worth of stories? I can handle that.

Lady K, thank you so very much for your thorough responses, I see you're pretty active on this board and I have read the majority of your posts regarding Central, your diligence and dedication to helping us "wannabes" is really appreciated.

sdaniel, I am in the central valley of California, so if all goes to hell and I just bomb the entire thing I can get a thirty dollar bus ticket back home. As far as the lease/operator program, I've read almost exclusively horror stories for solo drivers so I am going to be staying very far away from that mess. I don't WANT to be out long at all! Haha! But I am willing to be out the two, three or even four weeks if necessary. My fiance and I are very aware that this next year is going to be a strain on us, but... young love, I guess? Haha! We are up to and are excited for the challenge.

GWG, not sure if you've made your decision on whether you're going or not but if you are I'll see you there, bud.

Chinatown, good advice. Completely overlooked driving gloves. I'll be making a stop at Home Depot before heading out.

Stay safe, friends.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xkenneyx

xkenneyx Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Haha! Solid advice, thanks, bud.

4. GWG

GWG Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Thanks xkenneyx! I spoke at length w recruiter and exchanged 15 emails. Central, as of now, is my number one choice. I'm getting my CDL at Sage in Grand Junction CO and she has me penciled in for orientation in Fontana week of May 20. 3 days then off w trainer!!!
    I like what I heard, I like what I read, I've seen many of their trucks on the road, so lets see what happens. I too thank everyone for contributing to me. Be safe.
    G MAN

5. dedwarmo

dedwarmo Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2013
    I50 is right. When you are behind the wheel you are the captain of your vehicle. Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable doing. I'm not saying don't work hard.

xkenneyx Thanks this.
  6. xkenneyx

xkenneyx Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Lady K, I tried to PM you back but I my post count isn't high enough! So I don't have to spam other threads...

I am actually in Fresno! I've just quit my current job today and in the interest of saving the money and considering that I've taken the Greyhound numerous times visiting friends and family in L.A., I think I will stick with the "free" option. Haha! Thanks for the heads up though. I've got my headphones and my smartphone so I will be ready to go.

Lady K Thanks this.
  7. Aimstraight

Aimstraight Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Central CA
    Hello Kenney! Small world. I am in Fresno as well and will be starting in Fontana with Central on 5/6. After a pretty exhaustive search, hours of research, checking out just about every company sponsored training program out there as well as all the private schools within 100 miles of Fresno ... Central was my first choice. I'm very excited to get started. Hope to see you down there!

8. Aimstraight

Aimstraight Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Central CA
    There is an ongoing lawsuit against Central from former L/O drivers. It's similar in some respects to the one against England that has gone on for like 8 years now. It scared me off at first, but the more I learned about it the less worried I got. If you plan on staying a company driver for quite awhile, as I do, then it really has nothing to do with you.

Here is a link to a summary of the case: http://getmansweeney.com/current-cases/central-refrigerated-forced-labor-minimum-wage

IMO every company offering an operating lease program will face this type lawsuit at some point. England was the first, Central is now on the list, but they won't be the last.

Lady K Thanks this.
  9. xkenneyx

xkenneyx Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2013
    I kinda' let this thread die because I've been out on the road. I finished my training in Fontana and just today upgraded to my own truck. So far so good with Central. You get what you give though, just like most jobs. Don't expect to be handed nice loads if you are going to be late or get DOT violations, and I'm noticing that those are the biggest complaints about Central. Also, the Owner/Op program is okay, but you've REALLY gotta' put the miles in. My trainer was pulling $2000 a week (he was getting paid for my miles as well obviously) and that was AFTER his truck payment and insurance and stuff. But we ran pretty much non stop.

Thanks again for all of the help, guys. See you out on the road.

Lady K and Jarhed1964 Thank this.
  10. TJWCrews

TJWCrews Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Chiefland, FL
    I'm doing a lot of research but I definitely have Central in my site!

11. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    xkennyx, you need to change your profile to driver, rather than wannabe now, don't you? \m/ rock on!

To anyone that can tell me, what qualifications are needed to become a trainer? If I came on from the outside as an experienced driver and wanted to lease a truck?

Any L/O that can give me some insight?

I completed a lease with CRE last year and opted to move on after I didn't have enough of a downpayment to purchase the truck. and I am looking to get back into training new drivers.

Thanks in advance!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.