In School Looking at KLLM

Discussion in 'KLLM' started by gesterly1, Feb 8, 2011.

1. gesterly1

gesterly1 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Haines City, Florida
    Im looking at school to end 3/4/11. Im interested in what KLLM has to offer. Anybody have any hiccups with them? Are they good? From the looks of what they offer they seem to be ahead of the rest for a student driver. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Buckeye Cleve

Buckeye Cleve Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Atlanta,GA
    Well I just finished my orientation and now I am waiting on my trainer. The orientation was ok, lots of info. I guess the real learning comes out on the road. Everything is cool so far.

xllxmrjohnxllx and gesterly1 Thank this.
  4. gesterly1

gesterly1 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Haines City, Florida
    Thanks Buckeye keep me posted on your progress. How long was your orientation? Also how long is their training period that you have to do with a trainer?

5. RoadToad69

RoadToad69 Mistress of Mayhem

Sep 20, 2007
    BFE, TX
    Orientation is usually 4 days. You are then sent out on a truck with a trainer for 6 weeks.
    Learn to differentiate between minor problems and major problems. You need to realize that the on the road training is for a LIMITED period....six weeks. Let the little things slide but DEFINITELY speak up about the major things (trainer throwing you behind the wheel and retreating to the sleeper leaving you with no help or guidance within the first two weeks, trainer screaming/cursing at you, etc. for instance). Not saying these things will happen...but learn to tell the major ones from the minor ones.

Pack light - room on the truck is limited. Once you get your own truck, you can get routed by your house to pick up any additional things you need or want on your truck.

Keep in mind that God gave you ONE mouth and TWO ears....listen twice as much as you talk...take notes.

Make sure, while you are out with your trainer, that you get all of your driver reward cards from Pilot, TA, Petro, Loves and Flying J. Petro and TA cards thus far are interchangeable (TA bought Petro) as are Pilots and Flying J (Pilot bought Flying J). These cards are how you earn and redeem your showers.

RT

6. Buckeye Cleve

Buckeye Cleve Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Atlanta,GA
    Well everything was going ok gesterly until about an hour ago. I encountered my first breakdown! My trainer and I are stuck on 71/75s right outside of Cincy! Something about "Regenerzation" not working right or something. Anyway trainer is cool and at the end of your six weeks you go to Jackson MS. to take a road and a written test to see what you have learned while you were out. You pass, you get your truck.

7. landy77

landy77 Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    I have a pre-hire with KLLM, but have not been sold on them yet. I guess the threads about the lease program made me take a step back. So you don't take your driving test until your are finished with training? I thought it was at the beginning.

gesterly1 Thanks this.
  8. gesterly1

gesterly1 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Haines City, Florida
    I decided to go with Wel Companies. Got accepted to start in March. Thanks for all the feedback.

9. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    geasterly1, Where are you going to school? I didn't think Wel took students. I'm currently in CDL class at Ridge Career Center which is right across the street from the Wel Terminal. I guess I need to stop by and inquire.

gesterly1 Thanks this.
  10. gesterly1

gesterly1 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Haines City, Florida
    I'm going down to Tampa at the State Fairgrounds going through RoadMasters. They dont usually hire students from Florida because of it being a dead end state. Because my recruiter through Roadmaster had some connections I got the offer. If you inquire you have to go through the main office in DePre Wisconsin not at the termnal across the street from your school.

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  11. Romans612

Romans612 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Dallas Texas
    RoadToad is quite right.... (she usually is) lol

Also, take a look at my threads I started about my time here at KLLM, AND my Leasing on with them....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.