In training, had an accident :(

Discussion in 'Swift' started by arkanstigers, Jun 7, 2017.

1. arkanstigers

arkanstigers Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Pulled in to a truck stop to take my 30. I hadn't slept much the night before and had been driving for several hours already. Made a STUPID ####ing mistake. Took a right turn, look back to make sure my tandems clear the tractor closest to me and as I look, the end of my trailer goes in to the front of the tractor. I'm just ending my 200 hours with the trainer, he was asleep at the time, so I wake him up and we go talk to the other driver and do paperwork. The only thing wrong with the truck I hit were a broken lens on the headlight (lights still works) and some scrapes out of the hood and bumper. The cop that showed up said he was fine to drive that way, just use some clear tape over the broken lens. I'm of course pissed at myself, super embarrassed, frustrated, and terrified of being fired. I called my dm rite away and she said she did not think I would be fired for this, just focus on driving, don't do it again, asked a few questions about where I'd be when training hours finish so I can test out of that terminal which I suppose is a good sign.... Needless to say I'll be keeping a closer eye on my trailer from now on. She said it may just be marked as an incident not and accident since there was not much damage. My mentor said he's had a few trainees do a lot worse and not get fired. I would be crushed to loose this job, I know it's just swift but it's important to me. You guys think I'm going to be ok here? Really upset with myself about this.

Maverick Griff and Mr Ed Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive had entire front ends torn off my rig with me in it. It's a ride. I am not the one on the firing block.

Ive had new drivers do a bit of property damage in many places and a goodly percentage will have been fired.

You are going to spend a life time trucking getting close to other trucks while backing, you are going to have to GOAL when backing as those trailer wheels come around. Always get out and check that thing just before trying to fit it in.

Shake it off. You can be sure of one thing. All trucking companies keep a folder with a name of driver on it. In that folder goes incidents, bad things, accidents etc. When it gets heavy enough you are terminated.

Drivers are a dime a dozen. Always put away a percentage of your pay against a bad day in which you are fired, stranded, jailed and have to make bond etc. Or whatever might come down on you.

I don't mind a busted mirrior or headlight etc. so long you pay up. I have. Some things never see light of company office.

I say this. Whenever you are tired like that stop where you are and get rested. Cut your losses for the day. Stopping to get rested in a condition of being too tired to drive very well makes sure that nothing bad will happen later.

I have been so tired that they hand me 22 docks to back into in a pure empty 4 acre parking lot and choose a dock. I could not do it, I paid a jockey or worker at the warehouse to put it in for me. When you are tired, it is the same as being drunk or even worse because your brain does not process clearly that thump and scream.

4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    You're officially a Swiftie now. :)

From what I've read and heard this shouldn't get you fired.

Learn from it and move on.

5. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    You'll be fine. Just pay better attention.

6. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Enjoy your pay raise. And I hope you like sharing a truck because you'll probably be a trainer next week yourself. Congrats are in order!

Jarhed1964, LoudOne, DTP and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. arkanstigers

arkanstigers Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Thanks guys. I had a really rough year leading up to getting into trucking, and with so much riding on me doing well here, I'm so frustrated with myself for doing this. I KNOW better and it happened anyways :( as long as I don't get fired I suppose it is a valuable lesson learned at worst, I'll certainly keep it in my mind from now on, such a stupid mistake to make, I still can't believe i did that.

Jarhed1964, Hick and tinytim Thank this.
  8. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    Oh just relax man. If you think you're the first student that rearranged some poor SOBs hood for them, you're crazy. There is nothing new under the sun there. Sleep easy.

RedRover, Jarhed1964, LoudOne and 2 others Thank this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    This will go on your DAC report but you won't get fired. Trainees have had much worse things happen and they didn't get fired.You live and learn and you feel sick about it which is a good thing because from this day moving forward you'll be more alert and more cautious.

johnwayne187 and Jarhed1964 Thank this.
  10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Some will say don't worry about it, it's no big deal, it happens all the time etc.

It is a big deal, it was a stupid mistake. It seems you realize that which is good. It's hard to learn from mistakes if you don't take them seriously.

Never rush, especially when you feeling tired. You don't relax and shutdown until the brakes are set.

Best of luck.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  11. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    You'll be fine.
    Watch your ### (trailer) - and if you've lost it in the mirror on a right hand turn AND you'd had doubts about that turn to start: Stop; GOAL.
    Soon.... maybe.... you'll be able to shift, smoke, eat a sandwich, scratch your nads, turn right and chase the questionable tandem glide into the turn with your electronic mirror adjustor.

Don't overwhelm yourself. If you feel like you're about to screw up - STOP. Get a lay of the land and figure out how to correct it.

You can have 13,345 late JIT's. So what?
    But 1 roll-over..... :(

Minor junk AR Tiger. A wise fellow needs to learn a lesson only once. Are you him?

arkanstigers and tinytim Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.