In training, had an accident :(

Discussion in 'Swift' started by arkanstigers, Jun 7, 2017.

1. arkanstigers

arkanstigers Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I appreciate it very much. It will make it easier to drive safely without the thought of termination weighing heavy on my mind. I'll be #### sure to be more aware of my surroundings moving forward, it's so important to be aware of everything around the truck and trailer, I'm shocked at how it just slipped my mind to be aware of where the end of my trailer was while I was taking that turn. I need to not forget exact what happens when I allow myself to be so careless.

KillingTime and tinytim Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Oh, and hey - at least Swift will give you the 'incident' denomination. @ Werner (@bzinger will like this) - you got an 'accident' for the smallest of things.... I brushed a scale post while parking in Missouri, left a smear of yellow ~2" long - paint on paint - above the bumper, just under the head light..... barely gouged the cheap plastic a Freightliner is made of.... Mum's the word.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Well said. As an experienced tired truck driver, I wish it was as easy as you say to just rest when tired.....but from my experience easier said than done. I had an experience just the other day that was exhausting and there was no way out of it. Just had to shut up, nut up, and get it done. I'm actually still too tired to even spend the time explaining it.

x1Heavy and KillingTime Thank this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Avoid truck stops when you are tired.
    Find a safe place to park away from obstacles.

RedRover Thanks this.
  6. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    To the OP....way back in the twilight of my driving career...I drove for Swift. I made zero mistakes during training, I made a TON of mistakes over the next 11 months or so. I got canned. I had never been fired from any job until Swift. Point being, I think you're safe in your job for now. Learn and get better. G.O.A.L.is definitely your best friend. Don't let other drivers rush you or bully you, do it as much as you think is necessary.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  7. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    No matter what you've done, chances are the company is dealing with someone that did something much worse...

(turn the volume down, there's a loudmouth)

8. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    You probably won't lose your job but if things don't work out there, finding another job won't be easy unless it's a bottom-feeder

9. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Swift will most likely have you do a close quarters class. Do not have anymore of these accidents or they wlli can you. In trucks stops, terminals, or dc warehouse.. take all the room you can to do turns. On streets you are limited but you need to watch your end of trailer when doing turns , specially rights.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What I do is pop that rig into any old place preferably say on US 322, there is a gravel overlook about 10 miles as the crow flies before you get to US 15 Duncannon/Harrisburg North railyards. You can sleep on the side of the mountain there by the river quietly however long you want to. Just be prepared for 20 more around you by morning. That was one of my favorite spots.

I used to hop off 40 and get on the Phoenix highway about a few miles there was a southbound rest area among big pines. I would rest there, then flip back nb onto 40. I think that one is closed now.

Many times I couldnt tell you. In New Mexico comes to mind. Solid dirt, some scrub bush as high as your boot. Pull off the two lane state road in a hollow and set her down, sleep. Check for rattlesnakes come morning with stones from your pocket as you pretrip to make sure no one bothered your rig.

It don't take much.

If you are too tired to type here, then go get some more rest.

kanidana Thanks this.
  11. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    All I can do is WINK back.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.