Income???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by philjo, Dec 22, 2008.

1. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Just for poops and grins I called on a ad I saw online somewhere,...I wish I could remember who it was,...But I have talked to so many that they are starting to run together....Anyway they offered .23 a mile for experience but hey they offered six days "off" a month to include resets on the road,....no home time unless you happen to be there when you needed a reset,....It didn't take me long to get away from that phone cal.....lol..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    Sounds like Stevens!

Now I understand why I like it..... USAF 1981 to 85

4. crossbreed

crossbreed Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Eatonton,GA.
    here is my 2 cents! I have seen people come and go in this field and most that go are because they beleaved a recruter. now if you come in it thinking you will only make 20k your first year and you work your butt off. you will more than likely make it. you might make more but if you keep it low and make more you will feel better than if you think you will make 40k and only make 25k. and the best way i have found to make your home time work is to stay out 2 months and go home for 8 days you will make more money then the guy trying to get home every weekend and you will have more home time with you family! because your first day home you will sleep. then after that you have 6 and a 1/2 days to spend with your family. and don't look for the greener grass just look for one that is real. if they say you will get home every week beleave you will make it home evry 2 or 3 weeks. also don't try and get the big chicken truck because there is a reason the co. has them. and usely it's because they rip there drivers off so bad they can pay for the nicer trucks. and stay away from a lease deal. it is about the co. not the driver. do you realy think a co. wants you to own your truck and have no ties holding you there. or do you think they want to be able to hold something over your head. so you can't go anywhere.
    sorry for the rant and the spelling. I always sucked at math! LOL
    good luck in what ever you do!

bowmeyer1 and kingsson Thank this.
  5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    A lot of what you say is true. But I make good money, even with the hometime. I'm not in this to get rich.

But trucking is starting to lean more toward a 9-5 job, every year. In this day and time, there is no reason a driver can't be home every other weekend, if not every weekend. And still make good money.

Having a driver sit out on the road, is like putting a deposit down on a new car. It only serves to prevent someone else from getting the car/job, momentarily.

The average company gets the average driver 2500 miles a week. That's equivalent to a part time job, IMO.

And the "big boys" like to say, "Well that's trucking"

No it's not...or at least it wasn't in the past.

In the past, we prayed for a break..at home or a truckstop. it didn't matter, just so long as we got a break.

Now we pray to have enough work, so we don't spend our entire check before the end of the week...while sitting. Which could be done at home.

7 days 2500 miles equals 357 miles per day which equals an 8 hour a day job paying just over $16 and hour without overtime.

So on average. We spend 6 hours a day working...and the other 18 hours sitting around with our finger stuck up our *^&%$ saying....well that's trucking.

Companies with poor logistics, will eventually fail. That's why you see so many of the majors (Fed-Ex, UPS, Conway) getting into the truckload side. They will eventually take the losers out.

And we will be much better off as drivers, when they do.

6. bowmeyer1

bowmeyer1 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2008
    So on average. We spend 6 hours a day working...and the other 18 hours sitting around with our finger stuck up our *^&%$ saying....well that's trucking.
    now thats funny ! true most likely ( cause i havent driven yet ) but darn funny.

7. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Actually, many of us don't LOL. But, you will see a lot of drivers who do.

A simple look at the math will put things in prospective.

2000-2500 miles per week on average, for the big boys. At 60 mph, how long do you think it will take you to run those miles (with traffic)? 50 tops, throw in a few "unload/load" hours. You've got a 60 hour week.

A week has 168 hours. If you're not at home. What will you be doing for the remaining 108 hours?

70 might be spent sleeping if you're lucky enough to be able to sleep for 10 hours at a time, but that still leaves 38 to waste on useless crap.

BTW...useless crap equals your family and time with said family. With most companies.

8. millertime

millertime Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2008
    milwaukee, wisconsin
    I'm not looking to get rich. I would buy a lottery ticket for that. I'm looking to make a living and a lifestyle change. If I could gross around 30k that would be plenty. I have bills, but if I became a driver there is nothing keeping me off the road like a house or family. I would not mind being on the road for months at a time. If the work is there I don't know that I would take anytime off. In my opinion that would make me look good to companies. I'm not gonna be the 35 year old guy calling dispatch to complain bout needing to be home to see the kids. Please don't mistake the comment as you guys who have families are not home nearly enough and I have a ton of respect for you and your families and what you put up with.
    I haven't pursued this yet because of the women I've dated saying they wouldn't tolerate it. Understandable, but the need to be on the road is worth more to me.

9. bowmeyer1

bowmeyer1 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2008
    so i guess its all over, time to just end it all, theres no hope! forget trucking, i'll just go jump off a building! NOT! life is what "you" make it. i can guarantee you all one thing if its as bad as most sit on here and say..i sure as heck wont be coming in here to let you all know about it...i'll move on to something else. if your not happy dont do it... if your not making what you want or should find another line of work or go to school. if a company runs you over...leave. last time i checked it was a free country.

10. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    A couple of lessons they won't teach you in school.

#1 B#### about it often, to everyone who will listen.

#2 B#### about it even more to everyone else.

Most of what you see here, is composed of 2 types of drivers. Those of us who piss and moan, to keep from killing someone. Called venting in the medical field...I think.

And those who are learning the tricks of the trade, the hard way. By ignoring the people on here who do the b#######.

But you are correct. Few if any return to this forum and admit they were dumb enough to ignore the warnings.

For those that did come back for thweir own b#### session. They might actually make a truck driver :D

11. crossbreed

crossbreed Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Eatonton,GA.
    when I aplied at my new job they asked why on my dac it said I b**** a lot at my last job. so I told them the truth. they would only run me 1000 to 1500 miles a week and I was only home 1 time a month. and if they did that I would b**** alot again. if you don't have the work to keep me rolling then don't waist my time. because time is money!

dancnoone Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.