inconsistant work

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, May 22, 2017.

1. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    the week before last i had to claim partial unemployment, i probably only worked 2 or 3 days at most. last week was much better i worked 44 hours, pretty happy with that. this week is not shaping up to be very good so far. monday no work. to make matters worse i contacted the dispatcher last night. no response about working today, no response at all. not even a simple, i dont know yet. nothing. so i went to bed and woke up in time to go to work. again i sent a txt to the dispatcher. no response. i waited another half an hour, no response. i txted the guy i work with directly, the guy that does the field spraying finally txted me and told me no work. so i work up early to not work. everyone knew that it rained and no one would give me a straight answer as to weather or not i was going to work. im frustrated and annoyed at the situation. i need some sort of notice of working/not working. the hours are very inconsistant and while much of that is not their fault, im still going to look elsewhere. i need full time work with hours that are more or less set hours (knowing i have work). where should i look? there is jb hunt (already discussed not really positive things said), XPO has local openings dedicated in batavia, ny. where else should i check?

the job im working hasnt been particularly bad but inconsistent hours and work is not going to make ends meet much less live fairly well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Two of my nephews do what you do plus work in the warehouse. The money is horrible. One of them hauls mail in a tractor trailer on weekends and the other just scrapes by. They've been doing this for years and have nothing to show for it. They both have university degrees in agriculture and a high school dropout can drive trucks and make much more than they do.
    One lives in a double wide trailer and the other lives in a free house my sister gave him that's on her property. They just don't want to be away from home. I wouldn't do it; I want my children to attend a university with no student debt and that won't happen if I piddle around with some menial job.
    Just do something full time, even if you don't particularly care for the job. At least it's full time with benefits.

Lepton1, Evie3, CrappieJunkie and 2 others Thank this.
  4. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    so what do you suggest? im thinking of giving xpo a call they have a local opening right now. i have no desire to drive over road. if you wish to live in a prison at a truck stop and do a bunch of work for free i guess its ok. i have been trying to stick it out where i am at, but working 2 or 3 days a week sometimes isnt even close to cutting it. i typically have a good week followed by a bad week and the cycle goes on.

Expedite69 Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good idea; check it out and get to work. You can change jobs again later if you want, but at least you'll have full time work in the meantime..

6. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    when i took the job i have now i asked them about consistency of hours and they said it would be consistent work. nothing has been further from the truth. part of it is indeed the weather, but bring me to work and let me drive something else. problem is they have full time drivers and guys that have been seasonal longer then me, one guy 6 year. they are going to get an extra work before me. the lack of information the night before my shift is also frustrating. when i go to bed early to go to work, i would like to know if i am actually working.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  7. bulldawg trucker

bulldawg trucker Medium Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Tuff situation. I hate they were not upfront about the hours and inconsistency.. I have a couple of "extra" drivers on my staff. I try to be consistent as possible but there are times when it is just not possible. But I try to let them know as far in advance as possible. I also let each person I interview know they are coming in at the bottom and will get the inconsistent work and hours when they are not filling in for one of my guys that it on vacation or something to that extent.

That being said there are lots of jobs out there. Sounds like it is time to move on.

8. DieselDrivinDaddy

DieselDrivinDaddy Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    Try Wadhams Enterprises if you're in NY and have a Class A. They have terminals all over the state. I believe they even have a program now to help you get a Class A if you already have a Class B. Regardless they will typically hire with little to no experience if you have a clean record and a commercial license.

E.T. Wadhams is their milk hauling tanker division, tons of hours there doing farm pickup and/or transport to dairies. It's not a glorious job doing farm pickup but it's steady work, decent pay and benefits.

RIST Transport is their LTL division, which is more Mon-Fri with a consistent schedule. The milk hauling is more of a 4 on, 2 off type deal typically.

There's also a fuel division, ARG but I have no useful information about that part of the company.

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    From your post I gather you work out in the fields.If it rains the day or night before you can pretty much plan on no work or a late start the next day happens with any kind of outside work.But in this case it sounds like you work for a very disrespectful attitude towards their drivers.You can do so much better.

10. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    some simple information would be nice. why should i wake up at 5am if i know, and they probably know there isnt going to be any work. if they dont know a simple we dont know would be an acceptable answer. i would text him in the morning and expect a fairly timely response...... your not working OR you are working. im looking at local jobs again and getting more of the same run around.

i did work for rist for 1-1/2 weeks. no accidents, no tickets, or other infractions. i was called off the trainer's truck and told they werent going to train me any further. it ended rather quickly with no other explanation given other then i was making my turns too square. i have been driving solo with my current company since the first time i got my CDL. im getting more comfortable with the truck and my driving is improving. i dont know if i should call wadhams back and find out if i could get re-hired in the milk hauling division. my license is clean but im struggling finding my niche. i dont know if once a company lets you go if you should ask them if rehire is possible.

im not making any consistent money doing what im doing and that's the problem. more rain is expected this week YUK.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I always liked OTR life. and truck stops. I am ashamed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.