Indentured Servitude or $6,000?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by No names left, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Why does the school have to be accredited? All that matters is that they train you to pass the CDL test.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. No names left

No names left Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2015
    I have heard some of the better carriers want a 160 hour accredited course, and that is the only reason I want that. Since Schneider is the only carrier I am considering without their own CDL school, it may not hurt to call them and ask if one of the schools near Chicago would be acceptable.

4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Chinatown is a godsend of recommendations for schools and jobs on this site. Why he does it and how he knows soo much, nobody will ever know.

His heart is in it. He will never steer you wrong.

No names left and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. freediverdude

freediverdude Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I'm beginning to see that. I see good reviews of Abilene online, and notice he didn't steer me towards Werner, lol. How does he know all this?!

6. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    If anybody knew and they told us I would think they would have to kill us.

7. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    You're going to be an indentured servant no matter what you do (school or not) if you drive with any of the big mega companies.

You will work upwards of 100 hours a week, be an absolute slave to the truck 24 hours a day, and you will live like an animal....
    all for about $450.00-$750.00 a week. Regardless of experience.

Why do you think that all these companies have a well over 98% driver turnover? (Hint: It's not because the companies are expanding exponentially, nor are the drivers 'retiring').

Contrary to the ever present mind control dogma that attitude is everything, many of the posts on these threads suggest otherwise.

Yes, it really is that bad.

8. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Just skip out on those contracts and see if they come after you in court. They won't. If they do, file something against them. I think those "contracts" are unconscionable anyways. They can't force you to work for them and they can't force you to pay, you should just do what you want. If they hit your credit report, dispute it.

9. freediverdude

freediverdude Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    So there really is that big of a difference between how a mega company treats you and one of the smaller companies? Or are you saying don't become a truck driver period, lol.

10. Jason G

Jason G Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2016
    West TN
    Hey guys, I got a scenario for you. This is only a what-if (not saying I will do this but.....)

Say student begins CDL school. A large "Mega" carrier is paying for the school. Mega will pay $150 month for tuition payments to school. To fully pay off school this will take apprx. 33 months or 2 years 9 months with the company. After 2-3 weeks student gets CDL from the school and now is waiting to go to Mega orientation or is in Mega orientation. Student has not gone out with OTR trainer yet or is waiting on available OTR trainer from Mega.
    These are the questions that student would like to be answered in this scenario:

1: Would it be in bad taste for student to just take CDL and go to another company and worry about paying the school back on students own?
    2: Would doing this action reflect negatively on students work history?
    3: Will Mega carrier take negative actions against student?
    4: Will the CDL school take any negative actions against student? ( let's assume that student plans on paying them promptly or attempts make arrangements to pay school)

Thanks to anyone replying to this scenario. I look forward to your comments

Drive Safe
    JG

11. No names left

No names left Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2015
    It does not appear that there is any going around working for a mega for someone like me that is coming right out of the CDL gate. There are a few mega-carriers where I honestly would never work for but I don’t think all are horrible.

Schneider is a mega, but I see very few people complaining about them and judging from the comments of the people that did, they are from guys who would complain about their job if they were working at a strip club. Personally, I think Schneider would be a good fit for me, with Prime a close 2nd.

But yes, there are some I would not touch. I recall reading a comment from a driver for a mega that has an O.C. in or near Carlisle, PA. He said he had worked for the carrier for 2 years (the only positive you could find in his comment) and that they employed roughly 120 drivers on average. He said that once a week, 12 to 15 new drivers would show up for orientation and that had been happening for the entire 2 years he had been there and to ‘do the math’. The ratio of bad to good comments for that particular carrier runs at about 200 to 1, so they are one that I would never work for. True or not, there are too many bad comments to take the chance and work for them. And FYI – the company is not Swift; despite all the negative comments about Swift, I’d actually consider driving for them.

I have no problems working 100 hours a week; I’ve been doing it most of my life anyway and to me, 40 hours a week is a part time job. I don’t expect to earn much money during my 1sr year holding a wheel, but I am a hard worker and I will find a way to maximize my earnings.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.