Independant contractor

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Ada2d, May 31, 2011.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Should be interesting how this turns out.

scottied67 and trucker43 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tjones_39

tjones_39 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2011
    There is a vendetta against the company and any other company that has these type of ethics . And , these taxes have been paid . I never said that they weren't paid by me . I said I was trying to change the status from independent contractor to employee becase I had no expenses of any type to be a contractor . There are certain guidelines that point out contractor status . I do not meet any of them . I do have a problem with companies running under the wire with crooked practices . It's not enough that they are always trying to short the driver that they hit him or her on any thought of retirement . The I R S never came calling to me asking me for money because my taxes are current . Although I would like the percentage that the company was supposed to pay that I paid .
    And it's not just for me ... It's for nine other drivers still working there and any other previous employees before .

And you don't have to file as with any situation immediately . You can wait up to 3 years as with any legal case except discrimination.

trucker43 and scottied67 Thank this.
  4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

You admit that you have a vendetta against the company. My question to you is did the company do what they said? Did they pay you as agreed? If I remember correctly, you stated that you worked at that company for a couple of years? You took the job knowing the terms and how you were to be compensated. If you paid the taxes then there is no reason to drag the IRS into the picture. I think you failed to pay your taxes, were caught and didn't put money back to pay your taxes, so you put sicked the IRS on the company to bail yourself out.

Some companies do offer a retirement or profit sharing. They are under no obligation to do that. As an employee the company is required to pay half of your social security tax. If you work under a 1099 then you pay that part along with the rest of your taxes. It is up to each of us to provide for our own retirement. While some companies do offer retirement benefits, it is still up to the individual to provide for themselves.

I think that you also stated that you were paid as much as $0.50/mile or more? Do you really think that most carriers will pay drivers that much if they are responsible for paying half your social security tax and any other benefits? Perhaps you would rather be paid $0.30/mile and have the company pay your taxes for you? Most carriers who pay on a 1099 will pay the driver a higher rate than they would an employee who is given a W2 at the end of the year.

The IRS would like to get rid of the 1099 provision all together because there are those, such as yourself, who evade paying their taxes. The company did nothing that was crooked if they paid you on a 1099. On the other hand, you are being dishonest and attempting to put your responsibilities on the company.

You excuse your behavior by saying that it is for the nine other drivers. Well, what if your actions result in the company closing it's doors? You will have put nine drivers out of a job. How do you feel about that?

You also stated that you didn't have any deductions as an independent contractor. You could have set up your own retirement program. That would have lowered your tax bite and would probably given you more money at retirement than if you were a paid on a W2. As an independent contractor you could have set up your own 401k. You can put more into a 401k than and IRA. You could have consulted a CPA or tax planner to help minimize your tax obligation. Instead, you called the IRS to beat up on the company and possibly put them out of business. Those who are paid on a 1099 have an opportunity to lower their tax rate with some planning. Even if you are obligated to pay all of your own social security taxes, you could still come out ahead with the IRS. But, you chose to blame the company for your lack of planning. Paying on a 1099 is perfectly legal. Evading your taxes and blaming others is illegal. Let us know if you put the company out of business and the nine drivers you are supposedly doing this for lose their jobs because of your actions. And the statute of limitations on filing a suite varies according to local, state or federal law.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  5. tjones_39

tjones_39 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Ok , again .... I never wanted to be a indepemdendent contractor and I said this in the beginning . I never met the criteria to be as such. Why do you continue to argue with me about this. I do not owe any taxes . This company is evading paying their taxes and I am doing my #### best to see they get caught .
    I get the feeling you run one of these type of companies and you see this could probably hapen to you . Maybe I can set a precedent and in the end you can get a taste of it .
    Personallly , Anyone that thinks they can cheat their way to success is scumb to me . I have always been a honest worker and have always paid my taxes . I never asked for your advice in this but for some reason you felt obligated to come in and try to turn me into the bad guy . It didn't work "GOOD BUDDY".

scottied67 and trucker43 Thank this.
  6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

If you didn't want to be an independent contractor then you should NOT have taken the job. If you didn't want to be an independent contractor then you would not have stayed for 2+ years. You knew how you were to be paid when you took the job and signed the W9. You would have either signed a W2 or W9. Apparently, you signed a W9 to be paid with a 1099. You knew how you were to be paid when you received your first paycheck. I think that you failed to pay your taxes and then decided to throw the company under the bus when you got caught to save yourself. You say that you paid the taxes, yet want to trash the company. What are you expecting to get out of turning the company in, a fee from the IRS?

If you didn't want the scrutiny or be questioned then you should never have posted the information on a public forum. And when someone challenges your statements you result to name calling. That is what people do when they lose an argument or get caught misrepresenting something. They start to call someone names.

I think you are only telling part of the story. If you want to tell a story then it is best to tell the entire story and stop with the name calling.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have a question for you tjones 39. You stated that you paid your taxes. I am curious as to how you did that if you filed a W2?

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. PeterMartin

PeterMartin Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    I have never think upon this point ever , which is so important thanks for the good advice.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Most carriers who pay drivers with a 1099 will pay them a higher rate than if they paid them as an employee with a w2. If all companies are forced to pay drivers as employees then they will most likely lower the pay rate to cover their higher costs. A company will need to pay half of the employee's social security. That amounts to about 7 1/2% of the drivers pay. They may also need to pay workers comp. That cost can vary from state to state. There is only so much money to go around. I think that some companies who pay on a 1099 are doing it more to reduce their paperwork than to save the additional costs. If a driver is currently paying percentage to a driver as an independent contractor then they may want to reduce the rate to offset the higher costs of paying the drivers taxes for them.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. tjones_39

tjones_39 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2011

The company was taking federal taxes out of my pay and not taking out SSI and medicare ... So my federal taxes were paid ... So are you getting the picture now ?

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

You stated that you were being paid as in independent contractor on a 1099 in your previous posts. Now you say that you were working under a w2 as an employee and that the company was taking out taxes and not paying the IRS. It can't be both ways. You stated that the company gave you a 1099, but you filed a W2. I think you need to get your story straight. Which was it?

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.