Independant contractor

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Ada2d, May 31, 2011.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    It can be if they were trying to treat him as a statuatory employee.

scottied67, trucker43 and Hurricane69 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sixgunservices

sixgunservices Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Surprises me that this is such an outrageous thing to some of you. Gman is right normally if a company is paying this way, you are paid more. Personally, i would rather be an independent contracto, more freedom . Some people have the mentality that they are getting screwed no matter what. If you are the type that wants to be a lifelong employee, then don't be a contractor . If a company hires drivers this way, it doesn't automatically make them shady. it gives the driver more say in how the loads are being hauled (more responsibility). More like you're doing your own thing. That being said, i wouldn't hire someone as an independent contractor if they weren't capable of being one. Meaning they have to be babysat.

4. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012

Dead thread from almost two years ago....

tjones_39 Thanks this.
  5. sixgunservices

sixgunservices Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Still interesting to me.

trucker43 and NDBADLANDS Thank this.
  6. tjones_39

tjones_39 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2011
    he mail

Recently I received in the mail confirmation from the IRS that a previous employer that was claiming I worked there as a contractor was in fact wrongfully misclassifying me as such . The IRS has corrected this and now I am classified as a employee.
    This means that the 13% tax that I had to pay over the last two years will be refunded to me .
    Some of you rogue companies out there that are trying to hide under the radar ..... You need to get in line because this can catch up with you .

Just think how much this previous employer owes the IRS now that he's been caught evading . Keeping an average of 10 employees since 1982 and now he finds out he has been misclassifying all of them for all these years .

Just know that if you are paying all the expenses your driver is not a contractor especially if you own the truck . Not only are you cheating your driver but you are also showing unfair competition to the trucking companies that are in fact following the laws.

This is all I will say about it and I will not answer any questions . Have a good day .

trucker43, scottied67 and aiwiron Thank this.
  7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

So, you have enjoyed the extra money, failed to pay your taxes and now want your former company to pay them for you!!?? I suppose you also turned the company in for doing what they agreed? You apparently agreed to work as an independent contractor. You evaded your taxes and turned the company in to save yourself when you got caught by the IRS. My guess is that you never filed your taxes since your percentage is wrong. If you had actually paid self employment taxes it would have been about 15%, not 13%. The carrier never cheated you nor any of the other drivers who were contractors. It is you who failed to pay your taxes that is cheating the government. You are also now cheating your former company since they likely paid you a higher rate as a contractor than they would as an employee. You got caught by the IRS and now want to shift blame to someone else. It wasn't the company that was evading taxes, but you. You knew when you took the job that you would be responsible for your own taxes. If you make an agreement you should be willing to stick with it or not take the position. If what you say is true, your former company might even go out of business and you will be responsible for 10 drivers no longer having a job. You must be very proud of yourself. How does it feel to put 10 drivers out of work?

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    You failed to read the part the IRS contacted him about the bottom feeder, someone could have called the toll free number and turned the clown in or a person may have filed a Form 8919.

No matter what blaming him for any wrong doing undermines your desires to use the post in validating bottom feeders.

tjones_39, trucker43 and scottied67 Thank this.
  9. tjones_39

tjones_39 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Go to the IRS website irs.gov and look up form SS8 and form 8919 and answer the questions on form 8919 . You will find that the company offering you the job is trying to evade the percentages due on Medicare and FICA . Which if you work there you will have to pay . Ask your self is it worth it after you do your calculations. Not to mention as a contractor you release the company from any liability if you have a accident . Suppose you kill someone and it's because of poor maintenance on the truck . Can you say well it's not your truck and you are not responsible for the maintenance ? Just an example .... There is so many legalities to this type of offer . And did this company ask you to get a EIN number ? Also, Are they taking out taxes on you every week or do they expect you to do this quarterly on your own . I would say walk away fast and don't look back.

scottied67 and trucker43 Thank this.
  10. tjones_39

tjones_39 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Some people always assume and have no knowledge . ( Refund ) means I paid my taxes . And I don't go alond with people who hide under the radar trying to let their employees paid their dues . It might very well be 15% I didn't add it up I just know I have money coming back to me . Do me a favor . B4 you go accusing people of something . Do your own little investigation . Read up on misclassification . Just because a employer says your'e a contractor doesn't mean that you are . There are rules that they have to follow . Starting with
    [FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std][FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std]Multiply line 10 by .062 (social security tax rate) ................
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]11
    [FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std][FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std]Multiply line 6 by .0145 (Medicare tax rate) ..........

This company was taking out taxes but not FICA and Medicare .
    No I don't feel bad that there were 10 other drivers working there .
    If the law is being broken and I am being undermined in the process well sorry charlie but I come first .
    And if your doing this at your business God help you !
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

trucker43 and scottied67 Thank this.
  11. tjones_39

tjones_39 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2011

I was being paid by a 1099 and they were taking out taxes . However they were not taking out Fica and Medicare .
    Actually , I know it sounds wrong but this is how he operated his business . For the 1'st year he also paid by cash . Now what if I went to court and said . " Hey this guy says I made 48.000 but all I received is 21,000 . How would he prove what he paid me ?
    This is how he operated his business .

You might not realize it but I have a family and own a home and have nice things . I didn't get what I have by being cheated by employers . I got everything I own by working for it . And I get pretty #### pissed if I find out I am being cheated . If you work where I work and you aren't smart enough to recognize your being cheated ..... Then I am soryy for you and your family . But I didn't go to work there to take care of everyone else . As they say you drive your truck I'll drive mine,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.