Independent Dispatcher experiences?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by D2TD, Jan 19, 2022.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Keep talking. The more you say, the more we know.

Beaver9 and ProfessionalNoticer Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D2TD

D2TD Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2021
    I'm not sure if that is meant positively or negatively. I'm not on here to sell myself. I honestly wanted to go to the core of my future business (the drivers) to get advice on what they love/loathe about dispatchers they've run across.

4. D2TD

D2TD Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Believe me I'd rather go back to the peacefulness and solitude of my dump truck. It is no longer an option though

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  5. ESAFO

ESAFO Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2022
    Hubbard, Oh
    Negative in dispatch just 28yrs of being a driver, so like many others that have been around the block a time or two we have seen & heard alot.
    In most cases drivers & travel agents are like oil & water, so for a well oiled machine it takes respect & honesty.

D2TD Thanks this.
  6. D2TD

D2TD Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2021
    I get where you are coming from. I see a lot of people out here worrying about their money only and not the fact that they can ruin a new o/o. Stay safe out there!

ESAFO Thanks this.
  7. D2TD

D2TD Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2021
    I am definitely not trying to screw anyone over. I originally looked into freight brokering. I don't feel they are really for the drivers though. They want a huge cut so they get rich and the more they screw the drivers the richer they get. Am I wrong?

8. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Are you for real? You want to reward a driver 1% by bringing $7,500 in a week. You really have a nerve to even say that here? My brother is no different though. He would rip me off too if he could.

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  9. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    What you can do for me? That is what you should concentrate on. What you are saying here is what we can do for you! You got it backwards.
    You need to hook up with dispatchers, brokers, not drivers. And if you want to help us, share the info you learn here.
    You need to learn how to bring more money for drivers, not the other way around, man.
    Put some money into your business. All of us did that here. You want money made out of nothing?

Maybe it's time to change a career path. It seems like you want to work from home.
    But there are other professions too. Sometimes, it's not easy to make a change if you are middle aged? You need to understand you need to move on and sometimes changes might be good for you.
    Either look elsewhere or work for someone who can teach you along the way.
    Good luck

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  10. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    On a positive note:

There are a lot of people falling into depression, not having a job supporting oneself/family.

So, I will say this.
    If you're motivated, then pay for the membership: OOIDA. They have a bimonthly issue coming out spelling out what drivers' concerns are. They also might offer classes you might be interested in. That is where you should seek help...

Once you learn the ropes then come back and tell us what you're bringing to the table...
    You might benefit by checking out their resources online and looking into classes they might be offering.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  11. Keepforgettingmypassword

Keepforgettingmypassword Heavy Load Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Have you thought of running a cross dock or a storage facility. Sounds like you couldn't do to much of the manual parts. But you could make all the calls and schedule appointments.
    Personally I like a window. Say receiver receives 12-4.
    Ive been to about 20 cross docks in 5 years. I'm sure theres room for another.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.