Independent truckers see end of the road

Discussion in 'Truckers Strike Forum' started by Omega, Mar 2, 2008.

1. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    You still are not understanding

IF EVERYONE WOULD QUIT HAULING THE CHEAP FREIGHT THEY WOULD BE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES.

Put the shoe on the other foot, 1 broker will pay $4 per mile to haul from point A to point B; Another broker will pay $3 per mile for the same trip. Who would you haul for???????
    Refuse to haul the cheap freight and they have to raise the price. Find yourself a few good brokers and some shippers that will enable you to bypass the broker. Nobody is forcing you to use a broker. If you are getting the loads off of the load boards they may have been through 2 or 3 brokers. We the truckers are not forced to work for a broker, The company I am with avoids them like the plague. The few we do deal with don't call with cheap freight because they know we will not haul it. That is where you need to make a stand, not begging for handouts from the Gooberment. Eventually all the ones hauling at a loss will loose it all and the smarter ones will be able to demand the higher prices. Just say No!!!!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Omega

Omega Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2008
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Okay good to know. It seems then that if you work with a broker, you just have to be sure never to accept less per mile then your standards allow.

4. Omega

Omega Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2008
    St. Petersburg, FL

You're right. I had no idea the load boards have loads that have been through 3 brokers! :biggrin_2555:

Do you avoid the load boards completely? So there are some good brokers who pay a decent rate, you just have to find them and stick with them.

I know he said no to a lot of cheap freight brokers already and I doubt he'll ever hear from them again. :biggrin_25523:

5. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Getting closer! Lets change that sentence to read "It seems that is you work as a trucker, you just have to be sure never to accept less per mile than your standards allow".

And understand, that if you are somewhere and have to get out of there, as long as you know what you are doing, there is nothing wrong with taking a less than desirably priced load as long as it gets you out of that area to another one where you can pick up a load paying your preferred rate. If you have to drive out, then driving out loaded is a better decision than driving totally for free. It is the one exception to the "no cheap freight" rule.

6. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Good job :D Cut as many of the middle guys out as possible.

But, don't neglect the system of brokers. Work it also. Certain areas of the country, and certain time frames will bring a huge premium for the load. Especially so, if a broker has a customer they are committed to, and does not have anyone available or willing to go that direction.

7. Omega

Omega Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2008
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I'm with you there. :biggrin_255:
    Those are the only times he has ever hauled less than $1.65 per mile. It's just scary seeing how many loads are being hauled at $1 a mile!

8. Omega

Omega Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2008
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Glad to hear about that! I really appreciate all of the helpful information for truckers like us who are new to the industry. If enough of us say no to cheap freight we are helping all of us. :biggrin_25520:

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

Sorry. The accountant is just preparing the client for the fact that he is going to lose depreciation and facing an increase in the taxable income due to the loss of that deduction.

Question..
    Why would you fire someone who tries to keep you abreast of what you are facing???

Or are you one of those people that prefers to have the accountant only tell you after the fact that you know owe alot of tax and why?

Of course, you would then want to fire them then too. Sounds like the accountant cannot win.

10. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    Burky has a good point and much more experience than I. I am lucky to be leased on to my brother who is teaching me the ropes. The one thing I will say about hauling cheap to get out of an area is you shouldn't go below your break even mark. Everytime we do we are hurting the industry as a whole. That is where it will help to know where not to go unless the pay taking you there will also get you out. Then you can afford to go a little cheaper. And every now and then our dispatcher will find a load off of the board but as stated before negotiate everything. If its not a fair price don't haul it. That makes you part of the problem not the solution.

11. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Omega the one question that has not been asked ( maybe I missed it) is how long has your significant other been in the business before becoming an O/O? Did he/she go to cdl school, go to broker schoool, buy a truck and hit the road wearing rose colored glassed based on an advertisement seen of "Drive a truck. See America, make lots of money!" Just thought I'd ask.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.