Indian River 2018

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by bigcat1124, Mar 12, 2018.

1. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    That's a shame. Once you get caught up in that Cpap mess... It's just a Pita. Good luck on your new job. I've considered them in the past but I like full condo trucks lol. Plus I didn't hear good things about them back when I was considering them.

Looking forward to hearing where you are now. I would've recommended Holland Enterprises out of Fargo ND. They got nice long hauls as well. Very nice decked out trucks too. Hope you like it where you are now! Switching can be annoying.

bigcat1124 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigcat1124

bigcat1124 Heavy Load Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks. I’ve always heard good things about Holland, but I have no desire to go back to pulling reefers after doing food grade tank. Also have been doing this way too long to have a camera staring at me all day. I’m not a fan of the Cpap mess. I use it, but I don’t like it. Have had it for two years and still not comfortable with it.

Once I’m here long enough, I’m going to start a thread with my current company. Just want to run a few weeks to get a feel for them before I post.

CorsairFanboy and motocross25 Thank this.
  4. CorsairFanboy

Feb 19, 2018
    That's a good strategy. Wait to see how things go before writing about it. Too many of the "blogger" writer posts detailing every minute of it haha.

I started with tankers also (oil patch). Fun work. Maybe I'll give the tankers a chance just to see a different perspective on the OTR side of things.

Btw Holland doesn't have driver facing cameras, only forward facing. Never had a problem with them. But I do like where I am now that doesn't have any cameras. I might get one of my own but I'll be the one with full ownership of footage which puts me at ease. I really dislike that trend in the industry, specially when the cameras are driver facing.

Looking forward to hearing about the new place. Not that much talk about tanker yankers around.

bigcat1124 Thanks this.
  5. bigcat1124

Nov 15, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I see. We have the forward facing ones which I’m fine with. It’s definitely way better than having to deal with grocery warehouses and lumpers. Most of the places I’ve been to are pull thru areas to load and unload. A couple back into, but no docks, completely different world. A lot of empty miles too that pays the same.

CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  6. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    If Indian River doesn't carry hoses and lets the customer handle everything, are they fairly quick about loading or unloading the product?

The idea of it being a no-touch process appeals to me. Not that I'm not willing to lug around hoses, but I'd rather not be part of moving someone else's product. Also if you don't carry hoses, that is probably less equipment needing to be washed anyway.

7. bigcat1124

Nov 15, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    It is 100% no touch. Only thing I ever did was climb up and open the top hatch. It varies on wait times. Usually a couple of hrs, but it also depends on how many are ahead of you. Certain products take longer. Look at it this way. Once they hook you up th the pumps that are loading or unloading you, it’s up to the pumps to unload/load you. Not a fork truck driver that might be killing time. No breaking down product and counting it.

CorsairFanboy and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  8. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I was also curious if it's much of a hassle getting to California. I've never been that far west, but I often hear it's a pain. Is it easier with a Tanker and no sliding Tandems to worry about?

That's an interesting point about the forklift guys. I guess you never had to deal with Lumpers then?

9. bigcat1124

Nov 15, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    You were definitely see California. Lots of freight that way and also have a terminal out there. All this constru you were definitely see California. Lots of freight that way and also have a terminal out there. I have never had a problem with California. You only have to worry about your gross weight with a tank.

Nope, no lumpers.

CorsairFanboy and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  10. CorsairFanboy

Feb 19, 2018
    Sounds enticing. How do you think they are or would be for teams?

I'd like to try LTL team (with wife) for a few years to rack up some savings and maybe if we don't like it or get sick of it find somewhere else where we could dial it down a bit and enjoy the OTR randomness (no kids and will live on truck, no need to go "home" either) which I know the LTL model could be cumbersome pounding down 7k+ miles weeks on end lol not sure of how "cool" they are/can be with us wanting to take off for 1-2 weeks here and there... (The LTL companies, hence why we'd look for somewhere more laid back to work hard and play hard (time off)) after we make some dough.

Anyway is nice to have some options to look forward for in the future.

11. bigcat1124

Nov 15, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I know they have them, but I’m not sure. They do have coast to coast runs. I did several California to Florida runs. I honestly don’t know much about them team wise. I was overall happy there, but I wasn’t going to be forced intio a expensive, unnecessary sleep study

crazeydude Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.