Indian river transport

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by CalculatedRisk, Aug 26, 2022.

1. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Redtwin --

Also: if you live in the east (say, GA or FL).....how often (if ever) can you run out west (that is, west if I-35 and/or I-29)?

Or is pretty much everything regional--based on where you live/reside?

--Lual

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Yes, you can take the truck home. I don't because I don't have anywhere to park it at my house. They may have restrictions on where they will allow it to be parked, but I am not sure what those are.

I have single coverage provided by Aetna. Not sure if family coverage is any different. I pay $56ish per week for medical, dental and vision (the latter 2 are by Guardian), but as you can imagine, deductibles are pretty high at that price.

Generally, no they don't have APUs but they also don't have idle restrictions either. Idle as long as you want in any temp. The 2 Internationals I have seen do have APUs but I think those are unicorns as they have Cedar Rapids Iowa signage, not the usual Winter Haven, FL like the rest of the fleet.

OTR is all 48 states and Canada. I choose to work in the NE simply because that's where I make the most money going into Canada. Before I figured out that gravy train they had me all over the country.

Only time I see NYC is driving through it to get to a regular customer in CT. If time allows, I will drive around it using the Verrazano. Having said that, I have only been to that customer 3 times in 2 years. If NYC is an absolute no go for you, just tell them. If you are working in the central/western US you will likely never have that run come up.

Speed_Drums and CalculatedRisk Thank this.
  4. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I live in South Florida and can run anywhere in the country. Not once have I been told or been restricted to any particular region. They are pretty accommodating, if you find yourself running in an area you don't like for longer than you think you should be, just tell them. They would rather let you run somewhere different than quit out of frustration. If long, lazy runs are what you want. There is an easy Spokane, WA to FL run that will have you kicked back like a part-timer. Always an extra day or two on that run the few times I did it.

The only reason I don't go west is because I make more money in the NE. On more than one occasion they have asked if I am not tired of that area and want to stretch my legs out west and my answer is always no. They keep me where I want to run.

Only very recently did I spend a week running between IN and GA because they were seriously short drivers on a big account in that area. I wasn't thrilled about it as I would be losing out on Canada pay, but I still broke $2K for that week, so can't really grumble too much.

5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Redtwin --

THANX MUCH for your above detailed responses. :D

How much home time does Indian River offer? Pretty much the std one day for every week out?

Or are they actually more generous than that?

--Lual

Redtwin Thanks this.
  6. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Indian River pay the tolls?

7. CalculatedRisk

CalculatedRisk Heavy Load Member

Jul 26, 2022
    Space Coast
    It's gonna be very interesting to see how their training program is. Do you have any insight or knowledge on how it's going to be done?

8. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Usual 1 day per week, minimum 3 weeks out. Some drivers claim they take extra days, but I don't test that. I don't argue if I get home a couple days early though which has happened a few times. ;)

9. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Yes, prepass and easy pass in all the trucks. They do give us routings, but I rarely pay attention to those unless I am unsure of where I am going and want to double check my route.

They do state that they reserve the right to charge driver for extra fuel if they go more than 100 miles out of route. Haven't tested that one.

Apparently that came about because of a driver heading to California from NJ routing himself down to TX to swing by his house.

BlueThunderr and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  10. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    No clue, haven't heard anything about it yet.

Speed_Drums and REO6205 Thank this.
  11. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I did one day of orientation with IRT a few years back that was all I needed to see.
    Check out Caledonia Haulers for tank work. Top notch equipment and really good folks to work for.

Dennixx Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.